$$$Makin frag money$$$

Discussion in 'Frags' started by SwimsWithFish, Dec 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Do most lfs do that? I'll have to ask mine! Will they buy them?

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Not buy, but take some money off a purchase. My lfs does.

4. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

Yup, mine will do cash or credit.

but credit is almost twice as much as cash because they know you have to spend it in their store.

Lots of times I'll get offered $10 cash a frag for SPS, but will get offered $25 store credit for the same frag. That way he ensures it stays within his store. He's able to write it off, plus sell your frags lol.

And please don't take it that I'm trying to discourage fragging ... I sure am not! This hobby would be a lot more devastating on natural reefs if it wasn't for the millions of amateur surgeons out there transplanting polyps lol. All I am saying is it usually isn't necessary in the early going while trying to establish your tank.

Unless you've got Green Star Polyps, Xenia, or leathers and softies in your tank ... then you can frag till the cows come home and probably not notice a dent.

I remember my colt coral was growing so fast I fragged it like 20 times every week and never noticed a negative impact on that piece.

5. SwimsWithFish

Yeah I wanna get my reef completely set up with all of the corals I want THEN start fragging in may or so. Most of the corals I'll be fragging will be softies like polyps and mushrooms. I've been watching alot of videos on fragging lately so I'm sure I'll be prepared.:) do you know how much shrooms and zoas go for in credit in general? I probably won't do much Lps until I'm a bit more experienced. I don't wanna take my chance with a 50$ coral!

6. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

This is pretty much exactly what I am doing. Atleast until I get systems out of the house. On a small scale profit is very difficult to make, but trading frags is a great way to meet more reefers and get more coral diversity in your tank.

7. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

this guy i know does this. Hes got 3 tanks a big 150 gallon for a grow out, and two large frag tanks, both 48x48x18. He sells most frags for 10 bucks a pop, and more expensive ones for 25. I know he orders shipments and usually just frags up every colony he gets. To turn one colony that hed sell for 60 bucks into 10-20 frags at 10 bucks a piece. Hes making some money now. He doesnt have a store and runs it out of his house. his own online website and does Fragruns.

Fragruns are the best way ive seen this guy make money. He lives an hour out from toronto. and makes like 5 stops on his way into the big city. he posts all his pieces so we can see what hes got. and he usually will end up meeting like 40-50 people on his run. thats a few thousand each run.

Sps takes too long to grow out this guy found, so he just found a way to order large shipments and then do lots of fragging.

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Sounds like this guy knows what he is doing. Very interesting. I'm more into the idea of breeding then fragging myself though.

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Unless you got super man mushrooms or some rare zoas, i assume you wouldnt get more the 5$ credit per frag. As has been said before, if you feed them alot they'll grow more, and more coral means more frags. ;)

11. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

These are not money makers. I say that cause those are the corals everyone has. I have some candy canes, zoas, yellow polyps and orange digi that I cant give away, local clubs even LFS arent interested at $5 a frag.

It's like trying to sell GSP or xenia. One of the local reef clubs had a frag swap for thier christmas party & they were specifically on the list of things not to bring.

Remember it takes money to make money in most cases so you'll need to look into things that have value & interest. SPS, tryee corals, Jason fox corals, mummy eye or miami hurricane chalices things like that.

12. SwimsWithFish

EEP! Alright so softies and polyps aren't in demand? Would Lps do ok? I don't have enough light for most sps. Just montipora.