Make your own Live Rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by cuttingras, Aug 13, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. a1amap

a1amap Astrea Snail

No, just a few pieces of true live rock for the coraline algae. I picked up sand that had a lot of life from fellow reef club members. The grunge looks cool. One of or club members has used it and liked it.
    AL

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That tank shut down last summer. The rock definitely looked great in the end. Took a long time though. You may find better pics in my photo gallery or old posts somewhere. I can't remember exactly. That rock may still be around as the remaining fish, coral and rock went to a local around here. Never tried grunge!

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Matt, was it a pic titled old 30 gal(or something like that?) If it was, you can't tell which rock is which. Nice!! I like it, I like it a lot!

5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i made that cement rock 2.i did it a bit different.i would'nt put to much in your tank though.i just use it if i need a particular shape.for instance,tonga shelf rock has very little life in it but its super expensive cause you can make shelves out of it.so i made cement shelves using portland cement,aragonite and mixed in some salt pellets so when they dissolve it leaves air pockets and holes.i found even a small peice that was cured a couple months would bring my ph from 8.2 down to 7 reel quick so i cure it 3 months or more and only add one peice at a time.it collects coriline fast and 6 months later you can't tell its not natural.by the way ,you had to make sure the salt pellets are pure without minerals and such.the label should say.

6. cuttingras

I have about 15 pcs(about50-60#?) of live rock in my tank already just looking to fill the gaps and give the guppies more places to hide. Maybe start putting some corals in.
    I hope coralline will cover it quick, I have very little of it and my tank is 6 yrs old....Been fighting with the algae brothers(green, hair and their cousin red) for about a year now. Seem to, right at this minute, have it under control(knock on wood). Everything is looking great!

Hey ANYONE out there have too much coralline?? I'll pay for shipping! Bag some up and send it to me.....

7. cuttingras

I ordered 10# of GARF grunge. I'll let you all know how it is. It'll be here Tuesday morning.

8. Click Here!

9. natural blue

natural blue Plankton

i just used some grunge yesterday and i swear my little zooanthea looks bigger today. I am concerned however because it was hot when it arrived- through the post- into the desert. I imagine that in nature- like in tide pools etc- it sits out in the sun for a while so i guess and i hope i didn't just put a bunch of dead stuff in there-
    but so far i see strange wormy guys and a few snails- and the water is much clearer. time will tell. any body else use the stuff?

10. cuttingras

What should I expect when I get it? Describe it to me....
    <------like a kid at christmas.....;D