Major rookie mistake need help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by SteelerMike, May 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

The top off thing isn't a bad idea, I'd just be more careful with it and add a lower salinity to be safe, like around 1.020, just so ya don't swing too fast. I understand the point about acclimation, but I think the reason we acclimate fish that quick is to get them out of the bag they've been in and been poo-ing in.

I still think, as long as you're not too low, that the gradual WC over a few weeks is you're most fail proof method. IMO

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

the stress on inverts at a low salt level far out ways bringing the salt level up in a few hours imo i have never had a problem changing salt level to fast doing it this way. i agree with some causion is needed . but bringing a salt level up in a few hours will not hurt anything, and will save your inverts

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

LOL, guessing his tans been low for awhile, and if the inverts are alive still, kinda guessing they'll be ok for a touch longer, and I'd rather stress my inverts out than my fish and cause an ich outbreak, but its not really worth arguing over, both ways will work. OP, I guess to answer your question, NO, ya shouldn't be freaking out, just get it back up however ya choose ;)

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i agree there is never any set way to do things with saltwater tanks. i can tell you i have never had an ich out break from raising my salt to fast. but i run a uv sterilizer....now thats another subject ...lol :)

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Ohh Lordy, we don't need to go there!lol

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Simple solution: Don't top off your tank.

Let your salinity fall back into the range you desire by simple evaporation. When it gets to your desired salinity, top off your tank with saltwater of an identical salinity.

8. Click Here!

9. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

lol ;D

10. SteelerMike

SteelerMike Feather Duster

First off, thanks everyone for all of your replies. I did a water change this morning of 15 gallons at 1.026 and my salinity is now sitting at 1.023. I think I will try the top offs with salt water as suggested and also keep up with the water changes. I unfortunately found my six line wrasse dead this afternoon, although I just got him on Friday and not sure if he was just destined not to make it or if it was because of my mishap. The other fish and inverts seem OK.

11. SteelerMike

SteelerMike Feather Duster

Well, I found the royal gramma dead yesteray as well :angry: I did bring my water in to be tested at the lfs just to make sure my tests were right. The one thing he did say was that my ph was a bit low too and I learned another lesson....I have not been putting buffer in to my RO water when I top off and thus I have been slowly lowering my ph..So those 2 fish went from a higher ph to a lower one then i dropped the salinity and ph quite quickly on them and they couldn't handle it. Sucks, I hate kill anything due to my being a newb. The tang seems OK, just hope all this stress doesn't give him ick...

12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

how low was your ph?