Major rookie mistake need help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by SteelerMike, May 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SteelerMike

SteelerMike Feather Duster

Ok... did a small water change. Took out about 5 galons of water and put 5 gallons of 1.025 water. Going to do a 15 gallon water change at 1.026 tommorow and see where that gets me. Hopefully the new fish won't get too freeked out by these changes....

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

That's why ya go slow, they've already been shocked, no need to do it again. Going slow is the way to go. ;)

4. SteelerMike

SteelerMike Feather Duster

So is the 15 gallon water change an OK idea tomorrow then? Thanks for all of oyur help btw

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yeah, in a 125, shouldn't be a problem. I'd just aim to get it back up in the next few weeks!

6. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

+1

Was going to type this but someone did it for me

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Doing a partial water change with a sanity of 1.026 in a 125 gallon tank with sslinury at 1.021 won't average out to 1.024. It will bring it up slightly though.

Just let water evaporate from the system without top off until it concentrates to you target salinity. Mix up some salt water with the sane salinity and top it off. This will provide gradual change and nite provide a shock, so to speak.

8. Click Here!

9. fuzzyfish

fuzzyfish Astrea Snail

you could also use salt water as your top off

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

think about it this way, when we get fish and corals we acclimate them for an hour or two by slowly bring the salt level to match. your case is no different. slowly bring the salt level up over a few hours.
    i have goofed on salt and never had a problem bringing my level back within an hour or two. when i had the flood, and my ato kept pumping in water which brought my salt level into dangerous levels for the inverts, i brought the tanks salt level back up in an hour 3 points since mine was at 1.021 and i keep the tank at 1.024

11. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Raising salinity quickly is more stressful than lowering it quickly, so:

Just do your top offs with salt water instead of fresh water. Could take a couple of weeks to get it back up to where you want it, but that will be the safest and easiest way to do it.

12. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

I've wondered about this before just incase BC accidents do happen. So do regular WC with the normal salinity level you desire not higher ones so it raises slowly. I'd imagine when you use the salt water to top off evaporation you do it around 1.026 as well then right? And in a couple weeks you should be back to normal