Magnificent foxface

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Heather Carver, Aug 9, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Heather Carver

Heather Carver Astrea Snail

Usually when ich appears, I drop the salinity and raise the temperature. I try not to medicate if I don't have too. I have only treated ich in the qt once. I'm torn between waiting a few days to see if he's okay and just putting him in the main tank. I have found him not stripped and acting fine a few times today. He keeps chasing his reflection on the tank, so I wrapped the back and sides with cardboard. Hopefully that helps some of the problem.

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

i think the cardboard wont hurt. have you seen ich in your DT before? hyposalinity can be stressful, and on an already weak/stressed fish could do more harm than good. I dont qt, aside certain corals, but im not expert reefer either.... iv always been drawn away from foxfaces due to their dubious reef compatability and delicateness..... then again i have a CBB

4. Heather Carver

Heather Carver Astrea Snail

I have not seen ich the main tank before. I don't change the temperature or anything unless I see ich present on the fish. So far, 24 hours later, I don't see any signs. Fingers crossed it is normal foxface behavior and he starts to act less stressed. I have been keeping the light in the tank off, and have the qt located where there is no traffic. Hopefully that does the trick.

5. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

temperature wont do anything to "treat" ich aside accelerate the reproductive/life cycle. there are many sources to read up on the subject on how to fight ich... but personally, if your water parameters are decent (note i said decent and not perfect) and you provide an adequate environement, and that includes; living space, tanke mates and, diet! ich should not be a major issue. sure its better to have a system without it but its not the black daemon many see it as.... or at least thats my point of view and experience....

if you just got this foxface i would not worry about stressed behaviour, it is normal. just make sure it has a safe spot to hide in till it "understands" it doesnt have much to fear..... of course it may re stress once you tranfer it to the DT but thats a different story. no light can help the first few hours and is usally applied to avoid aggresion from other tank mates, but I beleive is detrimental in the long run. a QT should serve not only as an observation sation, but a place where you can slowly acclimate your new animal to your DT setting and that includes the lighing schedule, so i would say run the lights normally.

again, the fact he is eating is a good sign

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  6. ncfishguy

ncfishguy Astrea Snail

Are they reef safe ?