Magnificent foxface

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Heather Carver, Aug 9, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Heather Carver

Heather Carver Astrea Snail

hi everyone!
    After a tank crash in February that wiped out most of my fish, I finally made the decision to add a new member, a magnificent foxface. The guy who sold him to me, informed me that he will show strips when he is stressed. After taking him home last night and setting him up in my 10 gallon quarantine tank, his stripes were very visible. Today I noticed that his stripes are still there, so I tried feeding him shrimp (which he ate) and put in a pvc pipe for him to hide in (which he refuses to hide in). Should I be worried? I'm assuming this is normal but after my tank crash any sign of stress in fish worries me. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

They are very nervous fish anyways.I wouldn't try to qt one especially in a bare tank. How big is the PVC? Do you have any baserock you could use to make a cave?

PS what do you mean tank crash??

4. Heather Carver

The qt has a few pieces of live rock plus the pvc I just put in. The pvc is probably 3-4". Would you recommend just putting him in the main tank? I also have been keeping the light off.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Was the qt cycled?? This particular fish does not do well when moved so I would probably just get him in the dt. They are schooling fish on the reef so being kept alone is unnatural for them.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Be careful when handling it as the spines are venomous.Hope you have a big tank☺

Swisswiss likes this.
  7. Heather Carver

The qt tank has been cycled for about a year now. I currently have a 75 gallon but working on getting a 125 or more set up. It will be a good winter project! I will work on getting him in the main tank. Hopefully he likes it. :)

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

10. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

the fact he is eating is some what of an encouraging sign... how big is he?

11. Heather Carver

Probably about 3ish inches. The guy I bought him from encouraged us to qt him for a week in case he develops ich or anything like that. However, I'm starting to think the qt size might be stressing him out. Not sure what to do.

12. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

do you plan in treating ich in the qt if it does appear? to my understanding he is still a juvenile so he may feel safer in the 75 but larger would be better.