Magnesium

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by wareagle35031, May 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

I need a little help here, I have been up and running for about a year now, but still have no corline algae to amount to anything, I have tested for alk, calcium, nitrates( which stay at about 10 ppm), Nitrites, and they are all good. I have reduced phosphates which were really high about a month ago. I do not have a magnesium test, I have placed some corline encrusted rocks in the tank, and it has not spread. But since I have never added any magnesium to the tank, could it be low? even though there was no coraline to depleate it?

If it is low how do you raise it, I have read a little about it and got confussed has he**. Epsom salt, is this right? One thing I read suggested a two part system? what is this. Any feedback will be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have used both Epson Salt and Bulk Mag from here Bulk Reef Supply - Bulk Reef Supply Both will raise you Mg and that is probably why you are not growing the coralline. I have the stuff everywhere and wish it would quit. Get you Mg up to 1450 and Ca around 450 and dKH around 12 and the stuff will take off. They say not to raise it more then 100 a day.

Also what type of Actinic lights do you have.

4. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

If you are in search of Coraline, then you will need to know what your MG is.
    Pick up one, cheap enough , easy enough to use. I use the Read Sea and reads about 1450.

It is not wise to keep adding stuff without knowing your numbers.

Personally, I never got coraline before I got off the Instant Ocean and switched to the Red Sea salt mix. Purple up help jump start it as well, but I supect it was more the iodine aditions than anything. Good idea to test for the iodine as well if you are adding.

Cpuple of good links.

REEF AQUARIUM CORALLINE ALGAE PROPAGATION

How to Grow Coralline Algae in a Saltwater Aquarium

\good luck

5. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone