Magfloat Upgrade

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by DBOSHIBBY, Jun 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

2. Click Here!

3. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

Great IDEA! The biggest pain for my on my oceanic 72 gallon... are the edges... my magfloat... no matter which direction (horizontal or verticle) just can't seem to clean along the silicon where the edges of glass meet... I HATE IT! Curious... since this over-extends the magnets areas... does it help with the corners? Also, does the magnets strength become reduced? thanks!!1
    Ryan

4. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

thanks, i have noticed that it does overlap onto the silcone edges a little more with the pad on it.
    i havent seen any change in strength of the magnet with this on.

5. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

This Idea is so great! It has saved me from doing my usual razor blade scraping and it really gets into the corners so well I was lucky that I actually had a few brand new dobie sponges in the house when I found your post and I immediately tried it. Thanks again for posting. :)

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

haha nice idea, I love it how you went with the sponge idea at the end, very funny :D
    and very cool too. thanks for sharing

7. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Great idea. The only thing I would change is... when the significant other was doing dishes I would show up with the new sponge and tell her, "I was thinking about you today and thought you might like a new sponge." You might win points for that, or it could backfire and you end up in a whole heap of trouble. In my case it would be the latter, but thats fine I am always in some kind of trouble anyway.;D

8. Click Here!

9. jerseyreefer

jerseyreefer Bristle Worm

looks like a good idea. I have been using a 5" paint scraper. When I go to the new 150g tank at 35" rather that my 90g at 29" this will help.

10. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

I don't have a magfloat and have never heard of dobie pads, but this does seem like a nice combo.

I have two quick questions.
    One: would this work if you had the "Mag-Flip?"

two: a magfloat made for glass would not work on acrylic because of scratches, right? But would an acrylic cleaner work on glass?

11. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

not sure on the acrylic cleaner to glass.

it may work on a mag flip. ive never tried.
    the scrapper part of that may be able to go through the cut in the dobie pad though.

12. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I didn't find a Dobie pad but the dollar store had something like it ( a plastic mesh of some sort and I tried it on my regular tanks and it works great) haven't tried on the starfire type glass of my 113g tank yet(will be testing a "hidden" part of the glass)....will post agin once I tried.