MacroAlgae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by VT rules, May 23, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

What are you testing for, as far as PO4, organic or inorganic. Sorry, loaded question, your only testing for one, as that's all we have access to basicly. You can have PO4 levels thru the roof, but locked up in substrate and such, it won't show up on a test. Macro that puts "roots" down, can uptake this like no ones business.

2. Click Here!

3. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

Yes, I'm using RO water for top-offs and water changes.

What will eat this stuff for me?

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Have you tested the r.o. water for nitrates and phosphates?

Some tangs will eat it but that's not really a long term solution to the problem.

5. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

I have not tested the ro water for those. What would I do if they are heavy in there?

I've got to get this stuff out before it covers all of my rock. It is so weaved into the one rock I don't think I would be able to get rid of all of it by hand even if I pulled the rock out and it sat there all day! :mad:

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If your water tests "badly", you'll have to replace the membranes in your r.o. unit.

I feel your pain. When I kept seahorses, I had one heck of a problem keeping grape calurpa in check but I couldn't pull it all out because the horses used it to hitch to. I couldn't reduce nutrients in my water because of the horses' feeding requirements. Eventually, I just got rid of the horses :)

7. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

Okay, that shouldn't be a problem. My ro unit is only 3 months old.

I guess I am going to try to shear as much as I can and possibly get a tang and hope for the best!

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

The length of time between membranes will be determined on how dirty your water is going into the unit so I can't say if you're ready for replacement yet :) Do you happen to have a TDS meter? If not, do you know anybody who does? It's a very handy tool to help you determine when it's time for you to replace your r.o. membranes. This is the one that I use:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

(The blue one)

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Whoops...that's not the one I bought....mine only cost about $30. Lemme see if I can find the one I own :)

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator