Macro in Main Display tank?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Mr._Bond, May 26, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr._Bond

Mr._Bond Feather Duster

I don't know much about Macro Algae. Is it something I could put in the main display tank, or would it have to be in a refuge? Is it because of light requirements that it's in the refuge?

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

IMO, you should not put Macro algae. Reason being, it can become uncontrollable very quickly.

Most Macroalgaes are single celled (I could hardly believe that myself at first). That is, each branch or leaf is part of a single cell. The 'roots', better known as 'holdfasts' can puncture the coral tissue, leaving it open to infections and other nasties. It is very difficult to completely remove, even a little piece can reform excessive growth.

Cutting or breaking Caulerpa macro can release toxins into the system, and thus lots of folks are getting away from that even in their refugiums.

Chaetomorpha, or Chaeto has become one of the macros of choice for refugiums. It ain't pretty, but it works, is easily pruned, harbors lots of other lifeforms, and does not release toxins when pruned. ;)

If you want green in your tank, you can look into what are called 'vascular' plants proper for a marine environment. ;D

4. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Shaving Brush and halemeda make nice additions to a tank. They wont take over a tank like other macro algae and are slow growing

5. mmakay

mmakay Feather Duster

Of course any macro can be easily eliminated from the main display by adding a tang or two!! They're little algae eating machines... :lol: