Macro Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by quincyman, Feb 25, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. quincyman

quincyman Guest

Can anys uggest a good macro Algae to use in a main display tank, I like the Dragons Breath algae but am looking for something a little more hardy :p

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Some Macro Algae can grow uncontrollably and is undesirable in the main tank. It may need constant trimming and it can release spores which will cloud your water. Most of these varieties are in the Caulerpa family. Here is a link to view and if you like, to purchase. I have bought some stuff from this person before and have not had any thing but a good experience.
    http://www.liveplants.gulf-coast.net/
    Jim

4. quincyman

quincyman Guest

Thanks Diver,

I am trying to get a gauge on using macro alge in my display tank, to "scrub" the problem algae out of my water. I am gong thru a brown algae attack now.

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I know, I have been reading your posts ;D
    It will eventually go away, my brown algae attack didn't even phase me. Now the red cyno... I think that was the worst. I scrubbed those rocks with a toothbrush every over day for 2 weeks.
    Jim

6. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

7. quincyman

quincyman Guest

Thanks for reading the post Diver. I think I have about 100pgs of material to read this weekend on Brown Algae. Diver I see what you guys were talking about the brown alage running it course, this moring I noticed as spot complety free of the "Brown Goo" it seems some small patches of green algae were growing in the same spot and chocked the brown algae out. Hopefully in the next week or so I can start putting some critters in there. Will keep you guys posted.

8. Click Here!

9. quincyman

quincyman Guest

Raven no problem this site has been a huge help.