(macro)algae ID please

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Kamel, Oct 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kamel

Kamel Astrea Snail

I'm beginning to see these guys popping up everywhere... I don't know what they are or where they come from. I've only ever had chaeto in my sump so I'm hoping not calerpa or something, but doesn't mean it didn't come as an unwelcome guest on something else.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Could be the beginnings of bryopsis. Try googling images of bryopsis.

4. Kamel

Kamel Astrea Snail

Very difficult to tell but definitely a possibility! Thanks for your input. Anyone else have any input?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

My thoughts also, when you remove it put it in your fuge to take up nutrients and starve out the ones in your DT.

6. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

i say bryopsis

7. Kamel

Kamel Astrea Snail

Great, I'd never heard anything about this stuff until I began googling. Sounds like pretty serious stuff :'(. And I JUST finished my war with red slime. When will it end? :cry:

I'm thinking maybe I caught it very early, so maybe I have the one up this time. What do you guys recommend aside from putting the pieces I find in my fuge? My tank is very very light on nutrients (never really tested over 5 nitrates). Is there anything I could run like phosban to sortof 'nip this in the bud' so to speak?

Did find this thread: http://www.3reef.com/forums/algae/bryopsis-removal-48818.html -- reading through it now, but on the third page and it's only depressed me more especially after having lost my yellow tang lol.

Thanks for the quick ID guys. Going to keep learning all that I can. Any help would be super appreciated

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Remove what you can manually and research administration/elevation of magnesium levels. IME Kent magnesium works the best. Your going to need to test for mg. Best to do it when the system is young.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Should help some, but you need to keep up on the manual removal.

11. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

I agree that it's some strain of bryopsis. Manuel removal, zero po4 and no4 and a fuge will keep it out of the DT as stated above. I had a little after my cycle and managed to keep it out of the DT for a month now. There is a bit in the fuge but not much.

12. Kamel

Kamel Astrea Snail

Good news! I checked in a couple of spots I knew it was before and some of it is gone. I suspect my emerald crabs are taking a liking to it because I saw my female emerald crab (tiny, she's in my avatar) in a spot where I think some was at before and isn't now.

I will keep researching, thanks again for your timely and helpful advice everyone!