Macro Algae Fragging

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Va Reef, Jan 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

is it possible to frag macro algaes? for example a peice broke off of my main plant, but i dont wanna throw it away so i rubberbanded the base to the rock...will this be ok or should i just throw it away?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

yes most macros will reproduce from a decent sized piece, some will reproduce from even the smallest fragment.

4. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

ya algae is resiliant stuff

5. macon77

macon77 Fire Worm

Superglue gel typically works pretty well for attaching these "guys." Good luck.

6. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

it depends on the species. with red algae you can almost guarantee they will do well that way, as long as they are not globular or cylindrical. globulars dont do well that way at all, the holdfast, (which unfortunately is usually inconspicuous), can be fragged, you would do better with a tiny spec of holdfast versus a whole branch of a cylindrical. Similarly, stemmed plants should be fragged at the "root ball" rather than any portion of the plant. Plants with runners like caulerpa should be fragged at the runner, a portion of the top wouldn't do much good.Some fleshy greens do okay (the ulva species you are used too), and some don't (ulva intestinalis for example). Brown algae that is available in the hobby goes both ways, and doesn't follow to many hard and fast rules. Lobophora (nuisance), can be fragged any way you like, sargassum too to some extent, but not Padina spp. So it depends on what you have there, but in general the answer is likely a yes.

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

To expand on John's post, I've found that with Halimeda spp, you really need to get some of the holdfasts. I've never had any luck with just a pinched "Leaf".

8. Click Here!

9. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

+1, with the exception of halimeda opuntia