MACNA2011 Last Day and the Spoils

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by reefmonkey, Sep 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Kinda figured it wouldn't work out as moonlight. I was going to control it with my R2 Solutions controller. I really won't have a use for it then.
    Grats on winning the 20K's even though you don't want them now.

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

So in your opinion from what you saw, do you think that the hobby will be going mainly to LEDs? I would tend to think so if all the vendors were using LED's.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

This is still evolving. The vendors use mega blue LED's to sell corals. Then people are going to go home and put them under regular lights needed to actually GROW THEM Vs. just making them fluoresce and some people are going to be disappointed. It's not a biggie to me. I know they won't look like that. I grow corals out and then once they are to a size I want, I can put them under lights that will make the colors pop. That's one of the advantages of having tons and tons of aquariums.

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

The hobby is going LED for sure. Brian from Ushio confirmed that for me. I thought maybe plasma would make a run that would leave LED in the dust but that doesn't seem to be possible.
    The thing is to stick with well known manufacturers like Cree because when they make a wafer of chips they test each one and if it's within +/- 5 to 10 on 450nm then it's called 450nm. That is why reputable fixture manufacturers stat what LED is in their product.
    No name Chinese companies make a wafer and this part my be within the +/- range and this part may be way high or low of the 450nm but they still call the entire wafer 450nm.

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Now that really makes since to me. I can see why vendors would do that as well. Ty for your response.

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

So in your opinion, are the LEDs from BoostLED and RapidLED comparable to Cree? Not trying to put sponsors on the spot or anything. I just haven't heard anyone recommend Cree on here yet, but I could've just missed those threads as well.

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

As RapidLED sells Cree diodes, I'm somewhat confused by your question. I think the RapidLED par30 also uses Cree diodes. I forget what brand diodes are in the Boost par30 LED bulbs.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Is this still about MACNA? :)

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Ok I see now, I guess I still need to do more research lol. Thanks for your help.

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

haha. That's OK. Everyone is always learning somehow. :)