M.e.n!!! Victory is mine!??

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by reefmonkey, Aug 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I'm sorry to hear about the return of these mean bugs, Mike.
    Could you get another 6 line wrasse and just leave it in there for a good 6 moths, or is it not compatible with something else in the tank?

I wish you are able to eradicate these little mean bugs.
    Best of lucks!

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

tough break bud! I wish i had a QT up as well. Its always a bit of russian roulette when you drop a new coral in. I still have that pavona frag for you if you do intend a full reset!

4. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

OOOO>. that stinks. I hope the best for you. looks like you may have to bring that wrasse back in. I added one to my 180 recently as I was losing a Pocilipora to what I think are flatworms. I know I have flatworms on my glass, but put the wrasse in to be safe. it has been barely a week.

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

This is VERRRY odd that you bring this up RM! My dads tank has been eradicated since early October and still gone over thanksgiving. Just yesterday I saw one of his 6lines hanging around a monti digi so I investigated and sure enough, my heart skipped a beat too :(
    Since both of ours happened at the same time and then the populations flared up again at the same time, I wonder if it has something to do with their life cycle?

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Oh and I haven't added anything since early October so I know they didnt hitch a ride in on something. They were clearly in there.

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thanks for the link man. Another wrasse will be my only hope because the cap was placed on the same rock that my ORA red hyacinth colony sits on top of and a 10+ mouthed candy cane is epoxied to the back side of the same rock.

Thanks Mag. Another wrasse will have to be brought in for sure if I want to have any hope of saving what is left and my Confusa. The Berghia will just have to wait unless the LFS happens to have an army of true peppermint shrimp.

Any new display systems I build will get an adequate QT built and cycled before hand from now on for sure. I'll definitely take that frag off your hands when the weather warms a bit. When the whole cap goes there will be a very big empty space in my tank.

The one I had did well at picking them off. I watched him cruise the monti and pick what he could get to for about 3 hours one day. I had to keep him starving to do it though and he was competing for food with my scooter. That s the only thing I didn't like about having him in there.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Tis the season apparently. I found a string on one of my montis last night. The fight is on.

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Very sad reading Reef Monkey

hope you get on top of the issue and erradicate this pest once and for all

Steve

1 person likes this.
  11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I'm going to the LFS and pick up another six line if they have one. I'm also waiting for lights out to see how many more adults I can find tonight. I think the green cap is a goner this time. I'm worried about the Confusa. Since I've gotten back on a regular maintenance schedule it has really taken off and has encrusted surrounding rock. I was ready to quit this morning but the future doesn't look so bleak tonight.

12. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I feel ya Reefmonkey

but as these are coral species, specific, it does at least mean all your other SPS are safe from this menace

is there an amount of time a tank could be left without any Montis, which would cause the bugs to eventually starve to death and no longer be a pest in the set up?

Steve