M.e.n!!! Victory is mine!??

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by reefmonkey, Aug 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I feel your pain. I lost huge colonies of hard to find montis when I had them.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Update

Buying a 6 line Wrasse was the best advice I've gotten in awhile. When I noticed that the little creeps had moved to my green cap I went to my LFS and got one.
    I fragged off the bad parts and covered all the eggs I could find with two part epoxy. After getting the six line in there, (without qt but hey it was a 911 situation) I watched him begin to pick at the rockwork after the first day and then he started hanging close to the cap. I saw him take an adult nudi off of the coral.
    This isn't a fix I would ever recommend to anyone. It's been 2 weeks and no new M.E.N adults and the bald patches of my green cap have stopped. I did lose every bit of my prized AA strawberry patch. I will never have a set up without a qt for corals and fish again.

5. divott

divott Giant Squid

good to hear the 6 ine is helping to eradicate the adults reefmonkey. best of luck with it all.

1 person likes this.
  6. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Yikes...just read about this hope everything improves. Makes me even more convinced to have a QT tank.

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I'm bumping this so maybe some newbies will read it and realize the importance of QT.

When this thread started I fought these little pest diligently for two months. Methods included manual removal and adding a six line wrasse. I kept him hungry and witnessed him picking adult nudi's from my green monti cap. I still lost about 1/3 of it and all of my AA Strawberry Patch along with a square inch section of flesh from my Confusa. Within 30 days of adding the wrasse I noticed a huge reduction of "balding" spots along with new growth and regrowth of bald areas. I also wasn't seeing any more adult M.E.N. I gave it two more weeks and then spent the day trapping the wrasse out to go back to the LFS in preparation to add Berghia Nudibranches. I have a good Aipitasia infestion going on as well.
    Time passes and the cap is regrowing well. All of the areas that I had fragged off began to plate out again and new flesh regrew over bare skeleton. I was confident I had them beat.
    A couple of days ago I noticed a bald spot on a new section of plate. It was close to the rock so I passed it off as new growth and the cap was just attaching. Last night I was looking at the tank in the dark with a flashlight. I noticed the bald spot was a lot bigger than I remembered it being and just as the fear entered my mind I see them. Two huge adults mowing down the flesh along one edge of the bald area. I bent and shined the light on the bottom of the plates and my heart got ill. The original plate, the only survivor of the first violation, was literally covered on the underside in egg strands.
    Between the nems and the nudi's I just want to give in, tear down and start over.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Very unfortunate to say the least. It has got to be heartbreaking.:-[

Thanks for the word of caution, I am afraid to add anything to my tank. One or two nasties and months of recovery and frustration.

Sorry.

1 person likes this.
  10. us13fox

us13fox Feather Duster

Sorry to hear about your tank. I hope it works out for you and not have to tear down and start over. Best of luck!

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sorry to hear they are back. Good luck on the fight. Can you remove the corals and their rocks to perform dips? Or unfortunately add a six line back in.

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator