M.e.n!!! Victory is mine!??

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by reefmonkey, Aug 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

depends on if your strand of nudis has a taste for confusa... the ones i had only ate caps, no digitata or encrusting types (undata and rainbow) were effected

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

You can do an in-tank treatment... Spaced several weeks apart, you should be able to kill the adults, then the juvies that hatch.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sorry to hear, I think you have done the right thing.

5. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

sorry to hear that, I don't have corals but when I do I will setup a quarantine tank. BTW don't some wrasse eat the nudis?

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

A dingo ate your nutis! (thick Aussie accent)

Not helpful, but I can't get that out of my head.

7. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Several wrasse will eat them.. but they can not get everywhere that the nudis can. It is not a remedy. But it wouldn't hurt if you already wanted the wrasse.

8. Click Here!

9. MidWest Frags

MidWest Frags 3reef Sponsor

Sorry to hear about the Nudis! They really suck!

As you said the best advice is to always dip or quarantine new stuff!!!!

Matt

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

sorry to hear that! MEN SUCK! LOL!

Those are the worse...they reproduce so very fast! The only truley effective way to treat is to have your tank monti free for at least 6 months to starve any of them out! Any monti that you put in your tank will be subject to the MEN. When I had mine I set up an emergency QT tank (actually several). I placed all my montis in one QT tank (bare bottom) after I treated them. Then a couple days later I treated them again and moved to another QT tank (bare bottom) Each of the tanks were kept at the same paremeters and temp. When I moved the corals to the new tank, I would completely wash out and allow to dry the old tank before setting it back up This was in hopes of killing any eggs.

Unfortunately after about a week I gave up on all my monties! I started fragging them, and the pest just continued to grow and grow! By the end I had just small pieces of monti that I let dry out....and you could see the monti all over those pieces! I waited about a year before I put any other monti in the display tank!

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

:laughings

Agreed!! Kidding ;)

Sorry to hear this!! I hope you can beat them.

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Woke up yesterday to find a larger than silver dollar sized bald spot on my huge green cap. :( Closer inspection revealed 4 adults and 2 huge egg clusters. That is just what I can see. The strawberry patch frags I had are gone.
    The adults I've siphoned off are in a glass test tube. I put 2 dime sized pieces of the green cap in there with them just to see for myself what would happen. Within a day they ate all of the flesh but not before laying eggs. These things are bad people. I will never have a system set up without a quarantine for fish and corals again. It makes me so sad to watch the work I've done over the last 9 months slowly be consumed by a bunch of bugs.

1 person likes this.