Lymphocystis Virus

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by APC, Dec 29, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Hi All,

I have a yellow tang...have had him for about 6 weeks now. He has a little white "thingy" on his pectoral fin. It looks like a piece of cauliflower. It is approximately the size of a BB. It has not gotten any bigger since it first appeard about a month ago. The fish is otherwise healthy, he eats like a champ, and is very active.

Based on my research on the web, I think it is a Lymphocystis Virus. Apparently there is no cure or treatment for it...but it may go away on its own.

Like I said before, the fish looks great, other then this lump. Do you all have any experience with this? Any advice?

As an FYI, my tank is mostly reef. I have one clownfish and this yellow tang. I bought him just to help keep Macro Algae at bay (And he does a great job by the way!). My main focus is soft corals. The reason I bring this up is I am not too worried about him infecting other fish...he pretty much has the tank to himself.

Thanks

Adam

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Ahh Lymphocystis Disease. Well...although this virus does cause tumors, they are benign. From what I know, there isnt much danger in losing the fish for this reason. Really the only thing I found bad about this virus is that if a commercial fish is infected it is cheaper...lol. I also read that the virus will finish and then the fish will be more immune to it. But the fish can catch it again. Good luck

4. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Thanks Bruce.

A quick update...I got home from my weekly business trip this week, and the tumor is gone! The fish looks great! So good news!

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Is it something that cleaner shrimp can possibly help to eliminate? Like they are good at removing Ich from fish etc.!

6. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Not sure. It would have made a heck of a meal for a shrimp though. It was literally the size of a BB. Worth looking into though.

7. BlackWhiteYellow

BlackWhiteYellow Astrea Snail

I had a CBS he was very reluctant to help out but even if he did, Lymphocystis wasn't on his menu.