Lunatik's homemade refugium

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by lunatik_69, May 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. spiralout

spiralout Astrea Snail

I love the use of mangroves, especially cool to pull them right out of the water yourself. The ocean water around SF bay area is freezing, or I'd be collecting critters as well.

Great inspirational DIY project: hopefully it will cause many others to add this beneficial filtration method.

karma!

spiral ;D

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thanks Spiral, yeah, Theres alot of stuff that I have gotten from the ocean here at home. I have picked up Mangroves, red legged hermits, urchins, porcelain crabs, fans, fire coral, sponges, finger coral even a very small octopus. Luna

1 person likes this.
  4. spiralout

spiralout Astrea Snail

wow.. is all this stuff accessable from the shore? or are you free-diving or scuba-ing?

how much success have you had with these? where did the octopus end up?

spiral

5. spiralout

spiralout Astrea Snail

The closest I've come to anything like that are these little tide-pools in Half Moon Bay: full of crabs, mussels, and anemonia. Next time I go I'll take a bunch of pictures..

It might be nice to have a cold-water 'reef.' I'm gonna post asking if anyone has experience with that.

spiral

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Some from shore and on the rocks and the others where caught while catching lobsters between 7' and 15' of water a couple of miles out. Everything has worked out great, except the Finger coral b/c when I got it, I didnt have the right lighting, but I did mark the spot on my GPS. The FC that was there was in two colors, yellow and a white-ish blue-ish color. As for the octopus, that was a "freak of nature" catch. I was fishing from a bridge(while working, love my job...lol) and my line got stuck on a rock, so I pulled it up. While I was trying to get some hermit crabs that where stuck inside the rock, A very small octopus came "running" out of the hole. He was the size of a dime, I threw him back. Luna

Oh, and to add to the list, some snails too.

7. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

welldone luna wheres mine?:cheesy: have some karma dood

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Come on down Matt, but you'll have to wait until the end of July for some fresh caught lobsters, with butter/lemon sauce and a ice cold beer...mmmmmmmm just makes your mouth water......does it? lol Luna

10. spiralout

spiralout Astrea Snail

fishing is an awesome job for someone in this hobby.. i think i'd even trade mine, which is... aquarium maintenence :laugh3:

stay up luna
    spiral

11. spiralout

spiralout Astrea Snail

mmm..

spiral

12. ShrimpSkin

ShrimpSkin Bristle Worm

mmm lobster why didn't I know you when I lived in Florida?!