Lunatik's homemade refugium

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by lunatik_69, May 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thanks buddy

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

Nice plumbing job!, I also was under the impression that mangroves do best with high water flow. :) I like the bio- ball infront of the outlet too good idea!

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thanks, well this is my first refugium so Im still working out the kinks. Luna

1 person likes this.
  5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I like the fuge luna! Looks like it came out pretty nice.

1 person likes this.
  6. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Nice, but wuld really like some "light" with it, ( hard to see every thing )
    You have a great knack for packing every thing into a little space.

1 person likes this.
  7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thanks guys, LOL knack? Thats called working with what you got and making it work for you. LMAO Luna

P.S. The funny thing about it is, that the "tank" itself cost $6. The most expensive item was the light, even thou I could have gone getto all the way with this project.

8. Click Here!

9. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Going """Ghetto""" is one thing and being "inovative" is quite another ( which is the one you chose do to.)
    Clean/neat and the desire to keep every thing in order.

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thank you for those kind words. For me its still getto b/c I wanted to go with a real tank and not the rubbermaid container. But if it works, than even better. Luna

1 person likes this.
  11. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Luna..It's AWESOME! You really gave me a good idea of what mine is going to finally look like. I love the thing you did with the p.s. and the air pump. Looks like it's working great and it''s probalby adding a lot of good oxygenated water to the tank. What kind of pump are you using to get it back to the tank? And also what is the diameter of your overflow tube? I'm stuck there. I love the mangroves. At the aquarium, the mangroves were not in rushing water, they infact were in water that was pretty still. It only moved when the wave maker pushed some into the little pools. They also told me the mangroves will each have one yellow leaf. That leaf is the one that is absorbing the salt so the rest of the plant will be healthy, so if you have aleaf yellow, leave it, it's supposed to be that way!

Karam for a GOOD JOB DUDE!

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thanks Linda, the only return pump that I have is a Magdrive 18. I dont have a return pump on the refugium. That was the main idea of this project. I didnt want another pump to plug in. Its all gravity feed and drained. I put a 1" bulkhead for the drain back into the sump. All my drains are 1" . Luna

1 person likes this.