Urgent Luitennant tang emaciated and not eating.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by elweshomayor, Aug 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Ricardo, how many worms are in your system? I don't know. Do you? If all of the worms die in your system at once, what is going to happen? Your tang recovers or you have an Ammonia Cascade Effect where the ammonia from ABC kills critter DEF and the ammonia from DEF kills GHI, and on and on.

You are waaaaay more of a gambler than me. I've spent $3 on lottery tickets in my life so it's obvious I'm not much of a gambler.

2. Click Here!

3. enjetek

enjetek Plankton

cycle a sponge (though you should always have one on hand ready to go just in case) and get it into either the 29 or the 150 assuming it doesnt have any worms that you dont want dying and use prazi pro. since its already skinny, you may want to work fast so that the tang will get some nutrients into its body.

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Prazi is a short treatment. You can deal with just water changes. I use it often, but I would NEVER consider using it in a reef tank, for the reasons inwall75 gave.

5. heidimi

heidimi Fire Shrimp

Since I suggested it originally I have to chime in here and say: Absolutely NO to putting in a reef tank. Same reasons as others said. It isn't safe for many small inverts.
    Good luck and let us know how he does.
    Heidi

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Kinda too late now :/

When i went to the store the LFS saw me doubting the idea of adding it to my tank.. so he added it to his just to show me it was ok..
    I kinda treated my tank today with it this morning around 2pm..

He said that the tang had more of a chance of surviving if i kept it in the 150G.. since im moving to college this monday, i wouldnt have time to check how things where going in the 29G.

and since i was reassured it was ok.. well.. i dosed. :S

I dosed the recommended on the label..... Should i run carbon? use prime? leave it alone?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  7. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

Hmmm....that's a good question. Prazi Pro is definitely not reef safe, unless you consider killing off all of the worms in your tank safe. My guess would be to siphon off all of the worms that die and keep a very close eye on ammonia. You don't want this to snowball into something bigger.

I always do two treatments three days apart to be effective. After the second dose, the tank is coated with a slimy film that I would not want in a DT.

Also, don't use a skimmer, it will overflow big time.

10. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

i dont have one anyway..
    can i add prime to prevent ammonia spiking too high?

The label says that if you use carbon the medicine gets taken out...? Im not sure, if it was that bad, why would he use it on his own tank? i mean, he also has a good amount of rock in there.. Possibly more than me. its 4- 60g tanks connected to eachother.

the label also only mentions hornamental worms and feather dusters? ugh.. now what.

11. barbianj

It's not like you added copper to the tank, Prazi is a relatively safe medication. I have used it in my DT tank, but only in the FOWLR, never in the reef. Carbon would get it out, but since you already put it in, and considering your circumstances, I say go with it, but watch your tank and ammonia levels very closely.

12. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

If I do get ammonia I can add prime? With the medicine in there?