Lucas's Rimless Shallow Reef - Long overdue update!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Sacul1573, Jun 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I heard they are good with the customer service and glad to hear it is true..

Remember measure twice, drill once.

Good luck.

2. Click Here!

3. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Nice job so far, can't wait to see the tank on it.

4. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

Stand is done!

Good news! Business travel has been pushed back a week, so pending no further setbacks, I predict this tank will be wet and cycling by mid-next week! :cheesy:

Thanks John ;) I actually made myself a template, and it seemed to go much easier from then on (see below)

Me neither... but fortunetly, the glass shop called saying the glass was in. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow night???

Progress pics on mounting the doors and final product! Big shout out to a friend and nearby neighbor Derek for letting me borrow a few tools here and there.

I heard that euro hinges (concealed hinges) are tough to mount. Truthfully, if you make correct measurements, and take your time, they're not too tough. AND, they're adjustible three ways, so you can cover up minor mistakes ::)

Making a template out of some scrap 90* trim:

[​IMG]

Template in work (the hole must be exactly 1/8" from edge of door :p):

[​IMG]

The hinge mount is inserted into the 35 mm hole, giving good support to hold the door, and is then secured by just 2 screws:

[​IMG]

It's official, I have now bled for this build (dont leave sharp edged boards laying on the ground):

[​IMG]

The final product! (with light canopy sitting on the top):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Three doors for easy access:

[​IMG]

And a hinged electronics panel:

[​IMG]

Thanks for viewing!

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Very nice work Lucas. Now you see why they say wear shoes while working. Ouch!!

6. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

LOL, thanks John. I was thinking that right afterwards (my grandpa was lecturing me in my head... "Here's another "$50 lesson" son"...). I prefer to go barefoot when I can, but a woodshop is probably not one of those instances...

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I am like that too. I stub my bare toes every chance I get it seems.

8. Click Here!

9. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Looking great Lucas. I have the same Belkin Power Strip under my tank as well. Love that thing!!! Definitely like the stain you went with on the stand!! ;D

10. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

Thanks, the espresso goes with the rest of our house. I ended up (somewhat begrudgingly) putting another coat of stain on, as the boss thought it looked a little too light. (I now begrudgingly agree with her)

Yeah! I did some research into power strips, and the Belkin was perfect. Between the 12 outlets, and the 4 with the RKL, I should have plenty to spare, and only one cord coming from the stand. Great deal for $20!

11. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Looks awesome guy.

Is that the minwax polyshades espresso, that stain and poly in one stuff or no?

I bought that in the espresso and returned it already after reading a ton of reviews online about how it's hard to apply and comes out blotchy.

I'm just finishing up the skin on my stand this week, it's two different soft woods and hardwood ends. I ended up picking up a pre-conditioner, stain and wipe on poly (hope that stuff works OK!) and will start staining Wed or Thrs.
    I got a deep mahogany red stain, I couldn't find just an espresso in stain only. ...still on the fence about going to another local store tomorrow to look for it or not...

12. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

Thanks man! I used varathane, which comes in espresso at lowes. I then used varathane semigloss polyurethane. Make sure you precondition the softwoods very well prior to stain application, and make sure no wood glue residue is present on the wood prior to. I botched a few areas due to this, but overall turned out well. When you stain, saturate the wood, allow to soak for 5 min, and then wipe off the excess with a rag. Don't let the stain dry before wiping the excess off.

I'd be a little suspicious about wipe on poly. It goes on pretty thick, and sort of evens out after its brushed on, so no brush marks are left behind.

IMO, if you want espresso, don't settle for anything less. You're putting so much time and effort into the stand, you might as well do it the way you want, even if it takes a little longer or costs a little more.

"No regrets! Thats my motto. That and 'Everybody wang chung tonight'." ~ Out Cold;D