Lucas's Rimless Shallow Reef - Long overdue update!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Sacul1573, Jun 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

Let there be light!

Thanks guys! I, too, love shallow tanks, fell in love with the first one I saw, and wanted to create one ever since... here's my opportunity.

------------------------------

FINALLY got the LEDs hooked up to the drivers, the controller, and my massive homemade 10 conductor wire (to which I somehow mislabled or crossed 2 lines ::)). Before I show pics, I thought I'd detail the LED build components. Most of the hardware I recieved from RapidLED, with the exception of the heatsink and 398nm UV leds/lenses from Aquastyles. I have great things to say about both companies!

All LEDs mounted on 7.1"x0.9"x11.9" Aluminum heatsink

Channel 1:
    Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable driver (1.3A)
    10 x CREE XT-E Royal Blue LED with 60° lens

Channel 2:
    Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable driver (1.3A)
    3 x CREE XP-G 5W Neutral White LED with 60° lens
    6 x CREE XP-G R5 5W Cool White LED with 60° lens

Channel 3:
    Mean Well LPC-35-700 constant current driver (700mA)
    3 x CREE XP-E Blue 3W LED with 60° lens
    2 x Philips Rebel Cyan 3W LED with 60° lens
    4 x Violet UV 3W LED (410-420nm UV) with 60° lens
    2 x Epileds 3W LED UltraViolet (398nm UV) with 60° lens

Channel 4:
    Moonlight driver (350mA)
    2x Royal Blue Moonlight LED

Channels 1 and 2 will be controlled via the RKL's ALC unit, which can ramp the intensity up or down. Channel 3 will be controlled by RKL (simple on/off), and Channel 4 will always be plugged in (for now).

Without further adieu, let there be light! 8)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

dang thats a nice looking fixture, that will look fantastic over any tank. good work.

4. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

looking sexy lol, the lighting is sick. 8)

5. Acidraindt

Acidraindt Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Like the light the stand and the beer, excited to see the tank!

6. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

<begin rant>

I've had a frustrating evening with the Reefkeer controller. I've tried plugging in the included USB adapter (SID V2) to start programming everything, and I've come to the conclusion it's dead. Neither of my PCs nor the myreef software recognize its even there. And yes, I've tried both orientations and tried connecting to different modules.

So I decide to move on and plug in the dual float switchs I got for the ATO. The description for these on the retailers website mentions NOTHING of requiring an add on module, so I was led to believe one was not needed. Wrong, so now I need to pony up another $70 for another module. Even Digital Aquatics website says nothing about needing another module, unless you look under that specific module and see that it supports "switch ports".:angry:

I wouldn't have minded if the float description had mentioned that, but now I feel like I'm being dog and ponied, and not sure by whom... The retailer or digital aquatics? Mildly annoying to say the least.

<end rant>

On a positive note, two coats of poly were put on the stand today. I was going to do three, but two is looking really good, so I'm calling it quits while I'm ahead.

The hinges for the doors arrived last night, so that will probably be tomorrow nights project. Glass should be in by midweek.

Potential setback: I have a sneaking suspicion that work is going to want me to travel next week for two weeks...:-/

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great work on the lights.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Gotta love this hobby. For every positive, there is a negative. Great job on the lighting and the build. I am impressed.

10. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

Thanks John. Exactlyobp had a big hand in helping out with the design, so I cant take all the credit.

Thanks soldier!!! I really cant complain much, because until now, everything has pretty much gone as planned. I suppose I should expect a few setbacks ::)

1 person likes this.
  11. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

:) Thanks Lucas!!! The light looks AWESOME! I hope that RK issue gets resolved soon, and let us know how cool that is as well!

12. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

Thanks Shin! I contacted Digital Aquatics support, and they think the SID V2 device is dead. They are sending me a new one to swap tomorrow. Good customer service, very prompt replies.

I ordered the SL1 module for the ATO. Well, on the plus side, if I ever want to add a PH probe, I now can do so. ::)

Drilling and hanging cabinet doors tonight... I'm nervous... Dont want to mis-drill or screw up these doors...