LTA molested by Colt Coral

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Phayes, May 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Hey guys, Have a new LTA in my tank, and he decided to free float for 2 days before settling down on the bottom of one of the pieces of my live rock... Unfortunately he decided to molest one of my colt corals during hte process... I've heard that a LTA's sting is minimal compared to other anemones... but my Colt looks pretty upset... it has most of his polyps retracted and just doesnt seem too happy. What are the survival % of this coral? I will keep a close eye on both of them in the mean time however. Just too bad the anemone decided to park itself where its tentacles furthest reach is about 1/2 an inch away from the colt still.

2. Click Here!

3. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Thats why i don't have anemones in my tank. ( if your going to keep corals )
    They always seem to move in and molest a coral while trying to find a spot for it's self to
    enjoy water flow.
    And heaven forbid ya move or change a water inlet or water jet's direction, lol they'll be on the move again.

Any ways hope the colt makes it ,( depends on how much it got stung ) if it continues the Anemone will win the battle of course.

4. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Oh we'll see about that..... When it's God (me) vs Anemone and I am losing corals because of him... there will be hell to pay.... Oh yes... hell I say.

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd say colt coral is pretty tough and will be just fine. I don't keep anemones either.

6. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

7. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

I meant that if BTA continued to stay in a certain spot and , and of course the colt coral cant move.
    I would move the colt to a safer place.
    like i said in the fisrt reply' coral's ( lps/sps ) don't do well when they tangle with anemones .
    Anemones will get the spot ' when push comes to shove as far as chemical warfare in a tank.

in an open ocean reef theres so much space for all to find a spot.
    but kill and be killed go's on there all the the time.
    In our closed reef the space is confined and in "imo" it's a bad idea to have the two mixed in such a small area.

8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I loved my BTA. But after killing 3 leathers and a couple other corals, I took it back to my buddies lfs... I too will never have a anenome again... Love them, but will just look at them in someone elses tank... LOL!!!!!`

10. Executivelevel

Executivelevel Peppermint Shrimp

ive had my anemones move around and sting other stuff, hammers frogs, plate and candy canes, but they always came right back, so good luck, it should pull through. throw some phyto in there for good measure, some extra food might help out a little, it does mine anyways!!!

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Lucky Dog!!!!! Lol!!!!

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I've had an LTA for the longest time and rarely had a problem. I think that their really beautiful especially when they move back and forth with the water movement. Luna