LR or Dry rock new build

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by leigh, Oct 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leigh

leigh Flamingo Tongue

Starting to build my new 200g reef tank currently deciding if I should go dry or live any suggestions?

And aswell of the dry options I am thinking either reefrocks marcorocks brsrocks or lace rock south seas carib sea

Lots of posts online suggest that brs reefsaver marco and reefrocks are almost identical (not sure if true I haven't built a dry rock tank yet)

The only reason I added south seas carib to the list was that a retailer close by is currently carrying it for 75 per 40 lbs

And then the option of going live rock (I really don't want to because I am sick and tired of aiptasia:angry: and any other pests)

Can anyone steer me in the right direction :p

Edit: keep in mind it costs a fortune to ship this stuff to me :(

Thanks guys

Leigh :cheesy:

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I'd say you have a good handle on things. I have reefrocks, marco, drsfostersandsmith, and reefcleaners. Pretty sure all is the same rock if not damn near the same. I'd go with whatever is the best deal and then seed with a bit of LR.

4. leigh

leigh Flamingo Tongue

Thank you :D I needed clarification because I have just been reading other peoples posts off google :p

I plan to get one of those brands unless someone has any experience with the caribesea brand and recommends ( only reason I'm thinking about this stuff is because I can get it locally for cheaper )

Thanks again
    Leigh

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I don't have any experience with it, but it looks like it would just fine. Which kind?

I'd get that if its cheaper!

6. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Cheaper is always better, especially for rock. Maybe go have a look in person and decide if its what you want and if its porous enough. Also, you will get to see the shapes of the rocks in person, so thats a plus.

7. transam97

transam97 Astrea Snail

I got some awesome dry rock from bulkreefsupply.com and just seeded it with s bit of live rock I save a ton of cash going that route.

8. Click Here!

9. jscottb

jscottb Astrea Snail

I used BRS pukani dry rock and caribsea live sand. I did not seed with anything but the plugs from my frags and the shells of my crabs and snails. After a year I have no aiptasia, no mojano, no mantis, not bubble algae, bryopsis, etc. etc, etc. I don't think I will never start a tank another way.

10. kriv4o

kriv4o Astrea Snail

^ What he said. Especially if you have the time and patience to cycle the tank with dry rock. That route is also easier on the pocketbook:)
    Other than that I'd still use dry rock and seed it from a trusted source(existing set up if you are upgrading).

11. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I'm going to be ordering 50lbs of dry fiji rock from BRS to go in my 72 bowfront upgrade. The rock I have in my 40b was all live rock, Caribbean and Fiji. The Caribbean rock just few days before it went in my tank was still sitting at the bottom of the ocean and I have none of those issues you mentioned. A long with not getting the pest hitchhikers, you also don't get all the neat good hitchhikers. If for the fact I am not having the patience to cure more live rock to add to the upgrade I would go that route instead of the dry rock.

12. Bustopher

Bustopher Skunk Shrimp

I have played with the Carib-Sea and it is a nice balance of hole size. Low Dust, Can't say that for my RC stuff.

If it's the cheapest then by all means go with it. I know how you C's get bent over by your taxes and duties. I would use it if it was cheaper for me compared to other reputable brands.