LR hitchiker

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by DSC reef, Mar 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. divott

divott Giant Squid

definitely a cool hitch hiker. congrats !! i got a mantis my initial load of LR :)

2. Click Here!

3. lyal

lyal Astrea Snail

That's the major reason I never do dead rock on a tank build. My favorite thing is hitchhikers - particularly ones that are cool like you're pompom crabs, or ones that take a long time to show up.

4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

In my experience the good vs bad hitchhickers is like 20% good vs 80% bad. Just not worth it too me.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

That's only because you don't/can't count all the good ones, but count 90-100% of the bad! ;)

I really think it comes down to people's personal preference. I love all of the life that came with my rock. The only "bad" to date are a small Mantis (now sumped) and a few kinds of macro algae. For me it has been a very good experience, and I used the die-off to cycle my tanks as well, which is another benefit.

6. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Agreed...I remember once when I was looking for some "raw" LR, I was actually sniffing it in the LFS, kinda like picking out fruit! ;D

I love to see what crops up as well...it's so cool.