LR hitch hikers-worms/crabs

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Jewel613, Apr 30, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Scavenging animals breed and die in order to maintain a balance with what is available to scavenge. So in a established system, you will always have a population that coincides with what it takes to keep the tank clean of excess food. If, however, you just added the rock, I wouldn't blame you for removing excess worms and allowing them to breed back up to their optimum population.

2. Click Here!

3. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

Yeah bristleworms are a good scavenger but I understand the point you are making and if you don't want them in your tank, if I remember right I believe a six-live wrasse likes to pick and eat them? I could be wrong though and I'm not sure if that is a fish you were planning to have or not since that could be opening another can of worms (no pun intended).

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

let us know how the salinity dip goes if you opt for that method. I think that sounds like the best bet rather than trying to find a natural predator (at least at this stage of the game)

did you discover yet what is making the clicking noise?

5. Jewel613

Jewel613 Plankton

i'm not having a clinking noise in my tank...what we thought were mantis shrimp are dead so no worries then for us. once i try the salinity dip, i'll post results. will the 10 mins in the dip hurt the coral or other life on the rock (besides the crabs?)

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If there are corals that you want to preserve on the live rock than you should not proceed with dip/hyper-salinity, it will either kill those corals or severely stress the corals.