LPS / SPS corals , Anemones, and clams

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Reefguy, Jan 21, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefguy

Reefguy Guest

Hi,

Can someone explain to me the differences between LPS &SPS corals, Anemones, Clams and the different light needed for them.

thanks

2. Click Here!

3. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

Hi i will have a go from what ive learnt but wait for others to give their advice!

LPS corals are generally from shallow water lagoon habitats and are often large, single polyps contained within a cone shaped skeleton that sits partially buried in a soft substrate. These corals are more tolerant of high nutrient levels, higher temperatures and sluggish water movements.

SPS corals are the reef building blocks and occur in lots of different colours. They have a skeleton comprised of calcium carbonate and require excelent water quality and chaotic water movement and suitable illumination. They are typically unforgiving in terms of any lapse in tempuature control, lighting or water chemistry and should only be considered by those capable of keeping hardier soft corals. If you are trying to keep them for the first time it is advised that you try captive propogated fragments, which will give you a greater chance of success, as these have been adapted to artifical lighting and aquarium conditions.

As far as anemonies go the only advisable ones to start with are the bubble tip (entacmaea quadricolor) or the long tenticle anemone (macodactyla doreensis) The latter needs a soft substrate to burry its column. the former will settle on a hard surface. But for both you are looking for intense lighting ideally by metal halides and good skimming!

If you have a setup for anemonies then you will be able to keep clams in the same setup!

I hope this is of help but if you want something more specific then just let me know!

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang