LPS not doing so well

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Siddique, Sep 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I ruled out bleaching because they have all been doing well with this new light for the past 5 months. Only this month, things started to go down hill.
    I have been doing water changes and dosing as well: Kent Marine Essential Elements, Coral Accel, Phytomax, and Red Sea Calcium +.
    So since I'm doing regular WCs, I shouldn't dose anything?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Unless you have large amount of coralline algae, clams or sps and need to maintain alk, ca, mag I would not dose anything. While the salt you are using is not top of the market it will replace the trace elements. The only thing I would dose for is to maintain the pH and the other items I mentioned above. You can over dose on iodine and strontium quickly and there are no common test kits available to measure the values so dosing can be dangerous. Doing the 10 % weekly water changes should really be enough in my honest opinion.

4. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Ok that sounds great. I'll keep up with my WCs and not bother to dose.
    I don't have any clams or much SPS as yet. Only one millipora.
    I'll still add the biopellets to see i that helps with the GHA issue. It's slowly becoming unsightly.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I doubt your LPS would have problems with moderately high phosphate levels, but I can guarantee they're having problems with too much palytoxin in the water. Carbon is needed to remove that stuff, or it'll just keep building up in the tank water.

6. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Giving some thought to the situation, palytoxins may be an issue as well since the old carbon stayed in there for about 2 months or more.
    Well, I put new carbon in and got some biopellets in a reactor. I can see some small improvements during the past couple days. My surviving torch, frogspawn and open brain all seem to have a little hope left in them. I hope they make it through.

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I've had this situation happen before, too. I didn't leave it for as long as you did, but I saw definite issues developing with my frogspawn and torch. I hope that's all your problem was, since it's very easy to fix lol.