Lps dying

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by ranger2806, Jan 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Wow, I missed that's a 320 gallon tank! I apologize for the assumption that the 3 175w MH was too much.

Still, my money is on light change/shock.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I am assuming you were using the halides and the t5 then just went to the halide.

your lighting is probably a little low for them now if they aren't close to the halides.

I wouldn't worry about the alkalinity, I have mine pretty high for my sps and the lps are fine.

it's odd that you have nitrite, do you know why you might have that? is this tank cycled?

4. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

yea the tank is cycled its almost two years old but i ment to say the nitrate was 5 not the nitrite.

5. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

yea i had the 3 MH and the 8 T5's going and now its just MH i got two new ballast coming wend. i think my phos is up a little so i got a digital phos checker and some GFO the LPS just arnt filling out there all sucked in and my frog spawn is the same way. and i have always had problems keeping acans and dont know why i have them all the way in the bottom of my tank. the lights are about 6 in off the top of the tank

6. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

IME, some LPS will close up at 12. How did it get to be 12, and is it ever higher?

GE, Philips, or whatever brand of ballast can be overdriven, but Coralvue is selling replacement ballasts. Vue660 — a new electronic ballast based on IceCap 600

7. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

i checked everything again and params are great except my temp has been at 82 steady. do you think that is the reason why my lps are bleached and shrinking? i hope thats all it is. any help or thoughts would be great. thanks

8. Click Here!

9. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Do you spot feed your LPS's? If not, they need a generous dusting if mysis or meaty foods once a week. Feed at night when their sweepers are out and the polyps are open. Also, don't make the mistake of turning the powerheads back on after 20 mins. Give them a good hour to ingest their food.

I saved an orange scolymia from my boss that was living under 3x150 10,000k MH in a 350 gallon setup. Now it's under a 6x54 T5, eating mysis like crazy, and doing much better.

Lighting could be an issue, however LPS's must eat!! Big polyps=food

10. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

nah i think some corals actually live at 82 in the oceans.

11. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

I feed pretty heavy with all kinds of food three times a week from reef snow to mysis

12. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

so... its the light then; that's all i can really think of. If everything is fine, just look for the last thing you did or changed. Change may cause problems.