LPS Corals not opening

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by clarky2120, Jun 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Calcium levels of 500 will not burn corals. However when you get higher then that it may cause your Alk. to drop. I would bring it down to around 450.;)

2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

are you running bio pellets or carbon dosing? also did this happen after the water change and cleaning?

4. howsboutafiver

howsboutafiver Banned

Thats just wrong. 500 calcium is very stressful to coral. Nsw is 425.
    A good analagy as to the importants of calcium to coral, is nitrogen is to plants. Too much N and plants " burn", but they need N to grow, very similar to calcium and coral

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I have had problems with CA getting above 500 and have had the corals show stress.

Please remember we are trying to help the OP and not discuss the merits of chosen words.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

hi Clarkey

wanted to echo this question
    in your 1st post you mention replacing carbon pellets
    do you mean Activated Carbon for water clarification or do you mean Bio Pellets as a carbon source?

Steve

7. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

P04 test kit is salifert

Lost the frogspawn. Duncan and gonioporia are bouncing back. The hammer is on it's way out I think.

8. Click Here!

9. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

could this possibly be a lighting issue? I'm assuming you have a ground line for stray voltage.... I'd definitely follow the prementioned advice about getting the perams down, but stay patient. This sort of thing happens from time to time, usually quickly, and seemingly out of nowhere. Something has been slowly building up to this point, sorry you have to lose some corals because of it. Stay focused, there's a lot of stress right now, but some water changes may help. GL

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

did you change anything in the tank? Flow or anything? I have had my duncans close up for a couple days and then come back just fine.......but not sure why you are loosing things?

Frogspawn.....was there any brown jelly or anything unusual with it? Are your fish and other corals appearing ok?

Stray voltage comes to mind.......however corals tend to tolerate it better then fish will normally.

Might want to check for stray voltage to be safe

How long have you had your light?