LPS Corals not opening

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by clarky2120, Jun 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

Full maintenance Saturday afternoon:

20% water change
    Cleaned Eheim 2217, replaced filters, replaced carbon pellets
    Cleaned Octo BH-2000

If I remember correctly the LPS corals were not opening before sat and still haven't opened. Specifically talking about Duncans, hammer, frogspawns, and goniopora.

6/11/12:
    temp - 78
    Sg - 1.024
    NH4 - 0
    NO2 - 0
    NO3 - 5
    Ph - 8.0
    Alk - 9
    Cal - 520
    PO4 - .10
    Mg - 1380

Lighting - LED, 3w chinese black box type (about 10 months)

Corals have been like this for at least 5 days. Figured I better finally ask.

2. Click Here!

3. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

Did you acclimate the corals? Your parameters are overall looking good, however your phosphate reading could be causing it. And calcium 520 is pretty darn high, I don't know if that is a 'problematic' level, but a level of about 400-450 is optimal. What kind of flow are they in? If too much (direct or very turbulent), they wont even think about opening.

4. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

+1....

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

What unit is ALK in? dKH? If not, that may be your problem.

6. clarky2120

All acclimated. These have been in the aquarium for months and months with no problems. The flow is an MP40w and a koralia. They have never been moved around and always in the same consistent flow. Never a problem before.

Would high calcium be a problem? 520?

figured i'm not getting many responses in this thread because i'm just a stumped. All my levels seem to be in the acceptable range.

7. clarky2120

yep, dKH is 9

8. Click Here!

9. cheesyguy

cheesyguy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Looks like we have the same kind of problem, my frogspawn and hammer wont open, do you have pics of yours?

10. droopymatt

droopymatt Bristle Worm

iodide/iodine? to you test that parameter? If I understand correctly if those levels are low it will negatively impact the tank and carbon will IME deplete those levels. I had a similar problem a month or so ago and did a lot of reading and this is where it lead me. and it worked after about two weeks of careful dosing and doing away with the carbon.

just my 2cents:)

11. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

Sorry I forgot about this thread, do you feed your LPS? If I stop feeding for about 2 weeks, mine will not open fully! Do you have any algae growth with P04 at 0.10? I notice mine does not grow well with even moderate phosphate, but that is just my case at least. Also what are you testing P04 with? Most kits are pretty inaccurate, unless you invest in a nice testing kit.

12. howsboutafiver

howsboutafiver Banned

520 calcium is too high, 425 ish is optimal, at levels above 475 can cause stress and burning of corals, try and get levels down