Lowering Cal

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by xmetalfan99, Jul 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

My Calcium is only a little high at 640 :stars::furious:

I have an idea of how it got that high and believe that has been taken care of. The salt I use has a calcium level of 420. Without doing a huge water change, what are my options? Should I just let it go down on its own?

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

it will go down on its own with time and this is probably the best option.
    Also you could so some water changes and it will decrease it by a percentage with each wc based on the volume of the wc.
    Or if you absolutely want it fixed now, you could pull some of it out by causing it to precipitate... but i wouldnt recommend this route.

1 person likes this.
  4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I'm sure you're sure it's really that high, but I'm having trouble understanding how. Which makes me suspect the test kit, but I'm willing to bet you've checked that. So how'd it get so high? Dosing? Calcium reactor? It's just not feasible without a source...

1 person likes this.
  5. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Skunk Shrimp

Arizona Tap Water;D

1 person likes this.
  6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would let it go down naturally unless you have animals that are stressed, then I would opt for WC to get it down some.

1 person likes this.
  7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

It is high on my salifert and my API. My mag was low and all I had for a while was seachem reef complete. it has mag init, so I would add a little more than i usually would. I did it myself.

The only thing that is stressed is a 6" maxima that appears to have PM disease.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

If your mg is low and ca high, then your alk is low, or it is testing error. If your alk is low though, that is a lot worse than high ca. Adding alk should drive down ca though. Or a series of small water changes, but go slow, over the course of several days, not all at once, if you go that route...

1 person likes this.
  10. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

With calcium that high, I would be interested to know your current alkalinity and mag?

1 person likes this.
  11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Agreed. My calcium was a bit high recently and it was due to low mag and topsy-turvy alk. Bring mag up then stabilize alk and then when you check calcium it should be a lot lower.

1 person likes this.