Loud Overflow Box

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Aaron.Herk, Oct 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

So I just got my sump/refugium up and running last weekend and it is extremely loud. I believe most of the noise is due to my overflow box. My tank was not drilled and I was scared to drill it so I bought an eshopps overflow. It has two bulkheads (1" I believe) and I just have some flexible tube that I picked up from lowes draining the water into my sump. I was wonering if anyone had some advice into trying to make this a little quiter.

Should I try to plumb it differently? I am not experience at all with the plumbing aspects?:-/

2. Click Here!

3. Smellsfishy1991

Smellsfishy1991 Astrea Snail

I have the same problem I just got used to it though I put some kind of sponge filter in mine and it dampened the noise a little

4. CrazyA

CrazyA Feather Duster

if the return pump volume (gph) is low try using just one of the 1" bulkheads, plugging off the 2nd one. This might equalize some of the water pressure through one bulkhead and allow the water to travel down the walls of the down tube. Might be worth a try?.?.

5. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

If you have a ball valve on your return try closing it a bit, play with the gph being returned.

6. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

Well I got a mag 9.5 as my return pump so I don't think it is a problem of too few gph. However I did have to slow the return pipe in order to keep my pump from pumping out the water from its chamber to quick in the sump.

7. ali1

ali1 Skunk Shrimp

if you can make a sealed-tight cover for your overflow box, you will not hear the noise.

Problem is I don't know how you can make it sealed-tight with a utube. Perhaps cut a hole big enough for your utube to fit into with a little force.

I hated the splashing noise coming from the top of the hollow overflow down to the piping. I could hear the small vortex coming in and out too. I added a cover and a lip on the cover to block any air from coming in and it has worked fine thus far !

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Look into this; Hofer Gurgle Buster

10. Smellsfishy1991

Smellsfishy1991 Astrea Snail

I just made a hgb or the gurgle buster today it works pretty good eliminating the gurgling sound I was using sponges but this is more efficient thanks