LOT'S OF QUESTIONS?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by david, Jul 7, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

My pagoda hasn't opened it's polyps in a few days should I be worried? It looks O.K. just hasn't extended polyps for like three days now.
    Question #2
    I just got some nice green star polyps at not so local fish store. when I bought them there was a hunk of the purple rubbery stuff under the hunk than was open and she gave me that hunk too.
    Today the 1st hunk is open and looks ok but that other piece there are no polyps out white spots but no green?
    Is it dead? Should I yank it out of the tank? would could I do to encourage it to open, should it be alive still?

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

What are your water parameters, could be a water quality issue with your soft coral. Could also be spawning as corals will change behavior as they propogate.

Not sure on the "purple hunk" you are describing, but it sounds like it could be the encrusting part of the GSP. If it is not large there is little risk of an ammonia spike so I'd wait a little longer to see if it perks up.

4. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Hi craig, Thanks for helpin' me out on this!
    I don't think it could be my water everything tests good and nothing else seems upset? Oddly enough I looked last night and the pagodas polyps were out at night? they were not out like I've seen them in the day but best they have looked in a few! What is up with that?
    The purple hunk is the encrusting part of the star polyp
    how will I know if it's a problem before I see an ammonia spike? It would be nice to see this piece live because the other piece that is alive is smaller and that only looks O.K.
    but better every day. It was 50$ I only got it because the polyps were real electric green best color I have seen around.

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

It can take a week or two for some livestock to fully acclimate.

Not sure on your pagoda but it sounds like it is doing better. Keep an eye on it and keep us posted.

Test your water regularly the next two weeks so you have a baseline.

6. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

The pagoda looked like it wanted to open today and some polyps were open in the middle maybe just being weird it is especially bright green
    Other people who see my tank on a regular bases noticed how bright it was too! This is what makes me mention it?
    GSP living part looks great today so open I couldn't see the purple encrusting part other hunk still no life? Doesn't appear to be decomposing either?
    Love this forum thanks for all the help!!

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Hey Dave, My GSP will go through days were parts just don't open. Is there a big difference in Flow, Lighting, or surroundings between the two GSP frags. The Hunk as you call it, has prob been stressed more than the piece that is still encrusted. I would let it be and give it time

J