Lots of green algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by destinationluna, Dec 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I'm glad your algae is being beat by the GFO reactor. I'm loving mine as well.

Based on what you're saying and the fact that you have tried different test kits, I'm inclined to suggest a salt change. I'm not sure what you're using, but it's definitely not proportional on the mineral mix.
    It is quite a puzzle, but if you checked your RO water, and it reads at 0.01ppm, this is obviously not the problem.

Your salinity is almost right too. I would try to make it 1.025, but would not use your currently questionable batch of salt. What brand is it? I can't remember.

One thing I want to mention is time frame. If and when you change stuff in the tank, you have to take it slow. If you reduce your alkalinity from 18dKH to 11 or 10 dKH in 1 day, your tank will not like that. Slow is better.

- Mag.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. destinationluna

destinationluna Skunk Shrimp

Yea GFO reactor was great wish I would have had one from the start. Rooky mistake lol. When I make my saltwater I adjust the salinity to account for what the tank is at its always between 1.024 - 1.025 at the end of the week it drops from 1.025 to 1.024 so thats when I usally do a water change then right back to 1.025.

As far as the alk im letting it drop to 10 on its own its going down by itself with out me messing with it. My LFS guy told me he uses Seachem Fusion 2 Part system so once I do have to adjust will be using that product as it is a 2 part system.

The guy I got my live rock from let it get all overgrown with green algae so my CUC is slowly cleaning that up. Think once the coraline starts to take off in there and there is not too much green I will be satisfied that the calcium problem will be working itself out. Also will be investing in a new RO/DI that is a 6 stage system. From what I read it puts out 0ppm of anything so thats a plus. So its getting there this summer will be building a new sump to support a bigger skimmer and Refugium the one I have now is small and hard to get at. Its also a corner tank so there is room under the stand but not the kinda room id like so thinking maybe a 2 piece sump with a big refuge and plenty of room for my skimmer ect. But its all comming together slowly so thats good.