Lots of green algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by destinationluna, Dec 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

your alk should come down slowly as long as you stop using the buffer. i don't think the calcium is an emergency and should come down with water changes plus the addition of animals that use calcium including coraline algae.

2. Click Here!

3. destinationluna

destinationluna Skunk Shrimp

was thinking that it prob was the salt that raised the calcium and now that you say it was gonna switch to the red sea cuz have heard good things about it. as far as the alk I tested the tank and the ph was low so I got some ph buffer. I added the recomended dose and im pretty sure it was too much. Gonna switch salt and see what that does for me. Also gonna test the ro/di water by itself and see what that tests at maybe it is really high for some reason. It could be the test kit also will see what it is cuz its kinda crazy high. Corlaline is growing in there but its not growing fast by any means the guy at my LFS tells me in due time it will come so im waiting

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

There is your mistake. Don't chase the Ph around by dosing. Ph test kits can be extremely inaccurate in the first place. Make sure you have good water movement at the surface, and dose Ca, Alk and Mg based on your test results. It's that simple.

5. destinationluna

I ordered the phosban reactor but was thinking about dosing with a liquid to keep it down till the reactor gets here. Would that help or am I wasting my time here. Tired of green tank :confused:

also would it be good to have a slow flow through the phosban reactor IE its own slow pump or fast. common sense says slow to me but was wondering what others do. i got the phosban 150 reactor and have not got a pump for it yet so kinda was wondering.

6. destinationluna

cool thanks for the advise

7. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

If you have an old HOB filter you can always run the GFO and GAC there until your reactor comes. I did this for the two weeks before my reactor came and it made a big difference immediately. Its only a bandaide but it stops the bleeding.;D

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

10. destinationluna

ok so this morning the phos was down to .25 so im thinking by tom it will be at 0 or a little above how long does it take for the green to take off or to start to die off. i have been cleaning the hell out of it and the CUC has hit alot of it up just wondering dont want a green tank for christmas :) even though its the color of the christmas tree lol

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

It could take weeks or months depending on you keeping the phosphates down and helpinng with manual removal.:cry:

12. destinationluna

oh I plan on keeping it at 0 dont want this problem again. My reactor should be here in a couple days. The water has cleared up very well that was the big thing I kinda jury rigged a pump with a filter sock full of ferric oxide to put a bandaid on it. I also dosed some phospate remover so gonna watch my feeding and watch the level every day until I get the reactor up and a few days after;) I think the reson it got so high was that I was thawing my food in tank water and then squirting it in there. Was not over feeding but I think that the phospates from the food was saturating the water so im gonna thaw the food and dump it in a net and discard the water maybe that will help. learned it from mrsaltwatertank on youtube. will see were that goes I know that the food must be plum full of it as its frozen shrimp and brine shrimp and plankton.

My snails and starfish prob wont be happy that its gonna be gone they seem to love it. Bout the only time the starfish moves around but hey what can ya do. gonna check the alk today also and see if that has gone down any will see. Oh the joys of learning new stuff hehe

EDit the reactor will be here tom. yay