lots of algae...no cure

Discussion in 'Algae' started by vdhillon2, Jul 12, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

vdhillon,

If it ( the algae ) is bright green or brown and looks like snot then it is probably dinoflagettes. You need to syphon this out, reduce feeding ( in particular frozen foods ) and test/reduce phosphate levels

John

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Older lights shift their color spectrum, I believe into the yellow...which is excellent for plant and nuisance algae growth. If they are older than 9 months to a year, get new ones.

Your sandbed depth might be a problem as well. It is not really a DSB, but it is not really NOT a DSB....Not quite deep enough to get denitrification...but too deep to stir as you may get sulfide pockets or anoxic zones...Pick which way you want to go. I have between 1 and 2 inches, stirred regularly. Remote fuge has a 4" deep sandbed...mantained by infauna.

I purchased the Typhoon RO/DI rom www.airwaterice.com for my water filtration

4. eejjrr

eejjrr Astrea Snail

Call me crazy but you have 165 watts on a 29 gal tank. Isn't it possible to have too much of a good thing? Kill the extra 55W you added for a few weeks and feed less! I wouldn't give up on the frozen...alternate with very limited flake...Once a day is plenty. Birdlady is right about the lights as well. Switch 'em out....

5. hexus0

hexus0 Astrea Snail

yea i have a bad red slim algae problem. and its everywhere. im still waiting on my Euro Reef skimmer to show up so i can fix it, however the new lighting, and proper aim with powerheads and a little siphoning has helped. But my plan is to install my new skimmer to replace my crap prizm, and then stir up the sandbed to get all the slim balls to float up and into the overflow. sound good?

p.s. i found a sump! LFS guy had it, 60 gallons! LOL bigger than my tank, ill get pics when i get my baffles back,