Lost, need help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by DangerDave, Dec 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

You need to rinse the gunk off the bioballs with old tank water. The beneficial bacteria is microscopic. The beige/greyish stuff is detritus, a source of nitrates, and shouldn't be allowed to collect. +1 to 1st_time for nailing that one.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hello Dave, I think everything is fine. Leave the bio balls alone if they have no detritus on/in them (look with a flash light at night). Little blooms of the Brown diatoms are normal from time to time. Your flow is adequate, and if you like the flow pattern, leave it alone. Any other light source? Window? If not leave things alone, you are doing fine. In time it should disappear.

1 person likes this.
  4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Your rockwork is breathtaking. :)

With the number of poweheads in your tank, your flow should be at the least, sufficient. Where is your fourth powerhead hiding?

1 person likes this.
  5. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

Yeah. Do you stack it or is it framed that way?

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Peace.......John.

1 person likes this.
  7. DangerDave

DangerDave Astrea Snail

Thanks

Thanks. You can see the cord from the powerhead top left, right above the frogspawn, it was in the back bottom left hand side behind the rock. I have moved it since. It is now moved to the left of the frogspawn, in the middle of the rock.

100% stacked. No glue, PVC or anything. I just made sure they are pretty tight fitting. I have had the turbo snails move the rocks once or twice, but it has been fixed since then. Haven't had any problem since I redid the rocks. Took me 4 hours just to do the left side of the tank, lol.

8. Click Here!

9. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

Whether its cyano or diatoms increased flow to the area will get rid of it a for your green algae on the glass mexican turbos have done wonders for me

10. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I have simmular rockwork. You are keeping the flow from the area. I think if you get flow there then you will notice a diffence. I think you are keeping the flow from getting to it. I have the same issue. I got a cleanup package from reefcleaners and it did a great job.

11. DangerDave

DangerDave Astrea Snail

I picked one up from the LFS. Did a great job for about 3 months or so.

Any suggestions on what to get. I started out with 5 Turbo snails, 15 hermit crabs, 10-15 bumble bee snails, 10-15 of some other snails that are black and 2 peppermint shrimp. I do not want anything that will move rocks, like say something more powerful than the turbo snails that I already have.

Still have all 5 turbo snails and the 2 peppermint shrimp, a few hermit crabs, few bumble snails and a few of the black snails.

FYI: I just bought a Yellow Tang, lawnmower blenny and a watchmen goby the other day.

Thanks for all the help.

12. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I noticed you don't have any coraline algae on your back and side glass. Are you removing it regularly or is it not growing in your tank?