Losing Zoo's

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by reefmonkey, May 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I found a place for that ascorbic acid. Came up as the best price on my price search. I'm ordering one too. It seems like it can't hurt one bit and actually looks like a very good thing to dose.
    Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.nutriteam.com/servlet/the-Nutribiotic-Personal-Care-%26Grapefruit-Seed-Extract/start/76/total/87/Categories

EDIT: There are different pH buffer grades. Make sure to get the one you need.. probably the one closer to 8.4? IDK

2nd EDIT: It was on a different page the one Dingo showed. I updated the link above.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thanks Man!

4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

No problem!!!

Double check the link since I updated it. Just ordered the 2.2 pound jar with shipping included for $45.29. I feel it will last me a loooooong time. Now i need to ask Dingo about the dosage.

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

remember to keep it cool and air tight since it breaks down so easily!! reefcentral has a great thread about dosage, just like anything else you gotta start it low and work it up to the level it needs to be. Thanks for the link mag! As for disapearing corals, I havent had that happen but I have had many MANY fish dissapear in 6 years. Best ever was a rainsford goby, neon goby, and green clown goby dissapear after a trip, then two weeks later there was a red goby I have never seen before. Answer me that!

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Herrrm! Maybe I should just have left everything alone! The two colonies that I couldn't treat with anything are getting better. As a matter of fact the Gorilla Nipples have returned to 100% and the paly's (found out they aren't zoo's) that had attached to the same rock had a few polyps die off but new are growing and the survivors are getting thier green color and tentacles back. On the other hand...
    The AOG that I was first treating with 15 min. iodine baths and then Furan II still look like s**** as does the other colony. It's wierd and confusing because even though the Armor of God is very ill a new polyp is forming/growing between the bases of 2 others. :confused:

7. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

If it's not actually zoapox or a gram positive bacteria, the Furan2 won't do much good.
    I had a colony of pinks that had zoapox and the Furan2 took care of it in a week. I did lose 6 polyps though. What actually took them was RTN. I hoped the Furan2 would stop it, but it didn't. I had to frag off the dying tissue to keep it from spreading. The colony stopped shrinking and the RTN stopped. The dead area has healed and is finally growing back.
    I moved the powerhead more towards my zoa colonies to get a more moderate flowrate and it seems to have helped. It helps blow off any sediments that may settle and rot in between each head.

8. Click Here!

9. CoralQueen

CoralQueen Feather Duster

you could always attempt to frag the healthy looking polyps and get them away from the infected colony... it may help :-/

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thanks CQ. I think I'll do that only if they start to deteriorate. I'll just let nature take it's course in the meantime. My tank always seems to do better when I leave stuff alone LOL

11. CoralQueen

CoralQueen Feather Duster

i can see what you mean, good point!

12. mcallahan

mcallahan Astrea Snail

I've heard of it and I did it. No ill effects on the tank, but no help in recovering zoas that were melting away though. :angry: