Losing Zoo's

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by reefmonkey, May 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Good luck curing the issue. Sorry to hear about it. I have had problems with zoos and lost a few colonies because I couldn't figure out what was going on. Iodine dips helped about half the time.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Ahh idk about the rose hips stuff? the stuff dad got was pure vit C and a no rose hips.

Cellulose- hard to break down by anything other than bacteria, they will take care of it in your tank though (may actually make them stronger since its a carbon source)
    Crescarmellose- dont know exactly what it is but its prolly just a sugar that will take up water... kinda like a sugar based binder for the vit c pill to stay together.
    Vegetable Stearic Acid- will most likely be pulled out by the protein skimmer real fast since it has a charge to it... if not consumed by bacteria first.
    Vegetable Magnesium Stearate- NOT SOLUBLE IN WATER! this will have to be pulled out by the skimmer and will not be consumed by bacteria (at least not easily) as its a pretty long lipid binded to a single magnesium ion (which also makes it a salt)... You may know this better by the name of SOAP :(
    Sillica- component of diatom exoskeleton. is very quickly consumed to produce phytoplankton which then dies and leaves behind the exoskeleton (what we call diatoms) but with such a small amount you wont notice them.

And i truthfully dont know what rose hips are... but google says its L-ascorbic acid... which means its the same as ascorbic acid, only one of the chiral centers is reversed and the molecule is binded in a slightly different formation. it also has vit A and vit B in it. MOST organisms can utilize both forms of a molecule but not all (for example, when we smell oranges we are actually smelling the same molecule as when you smell pine... except the two are "reversed") they have a different chiral center ;)

so truthfully, i would be skeptical to use all of that stuff... maybe try to get to walmart or another pharmacy store soonish? :-/

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Yeah. I don't like adding crap that I'm not sure about. I'll just do iodine baths until the furan2 comes in the mail. Or if I can get to Sioux Falls I'll pick up some straight C

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

The RC link wouldn't open for me (they are doing their backup right now). I'm hoping they mentioned this....however, if they didn't I wanted to mention a couple of things.

1...Ascorbic Acid is an acid. As a result, depending on dosage, your pH could take a hit.

2...Vitamin C is VERY unstable. It must be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dark area.......i.e. the EXACT OPPOSITE of right near your reef tank so store it elsewhere. If your Vitamins come with a dessicant package or Silica gel, don't throw it away.

If your LFS's have a QT facility or breeding operation, they are likely using some stabilized Vitamin C called Stay C or C-3. I'm sure they wouldn't mind selling you some. Argent Chemical Laboratories, Inc. Home Page--World Leader in Aquaculture Industry and the Only MS-222 Manufacturer in US (The won't sell to you unless you're a business so you have to get it through your LFS).

Albert Theil used to sell stabilized Vitamin C but it seems like no one carries it anymore.

Kent Marine C is also a stabilized form of Vitamin C

1 person likes this.
  6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

online... i forget the site :-/
    maybe try googling the name of the company?

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

The iodine baths may be helping those that I give it to. The AOG isn't fully opening but it at least was a little brighter today an not so deflated. Also the first colony to show signs looks worse but it also appears that new stalks and polyps are growing up thru the dieing ones. May just be wishful thinking since they haven't been treated at all. If there's no improvement in a week or so I'll have to pull them off the rock and destroy the colony.

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

ahhh! try to get some vit c soon mannn! its totally worth it

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I'm getting it Monday. My LFS carries the Kent supp. but it's not like I can just jump in a car and go. LOL I live in corn-bean town USA. SiouxFalls and my LFS are about 40 miles from me.

Another very very strange occurence in my tank that I just noticed. One of the new additions, the one every thought was a scroll or something starting with a 'p' just literally disappeared. It's an LPS frag so there should be some evidence of where it went. I thought maybe it got knocked off the spot I had it glued and the goby buried it but I stirred the sand right around that area and nothing. I looked under/in the rockwork but didn't see it. It's wierd because if it fell from where it was at something would have to pack it under the scape. It couldn't have fallen there is what I'm trying to say.

11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Dude! The same thing happened to me with a small (4 polyps) zoa I had superglued to a disk. One day I wake up, and the disk is there, but the zoas had completely gone invisible. I stirred the sand, moved my rock work and nothing. 2 months later, my pistol shrimp dug it out when working on its burrow.... that was yesterday by the way. Glued it back on the disk and I'm hoping it will stay this time.

I'm sure it's somewhere... it'll take some serious stirring which is something not a lot of people is willing to do most of the time. I gave up after moving all the rock work... and now that it was found for me, I'm hoping it's still alive. Fortunately it was a freebie and not very fancy... I don't even know what type it is yet since it never fully opened. I'll try the vitamin C as well.

Don't give up! It'll eventually re-appear if you don't find it first. Hopefully it will be on time.

- Mag.

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thanks Mag :)
    It's so strange because I popped the frag off the tile plug to mount it. It's just gone. It's not to bad cuz like you this one wasn't free but only a few bucks but still it's wierd how it just vanished.