Losing Zoo's

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by reefmonkey, May 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thanks for the links Ingtar! I am gonna try 2000mg per day but in a bucket I think. I don't want to chance throwing the rest of the tank out of whack.

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

i put ascorbic acid in my tank every day... and i watched the few softies that i have open up wider than ever before.

Think about it though... vitamin c is one of the most important vitamins to almost all organisms. some make it themselves, others do not... but they all still need it.
    It is a great antioxident and is used for something like 8? synthesis reactions and is able to permeate membranes through simple diffusion...
    Of course it helps your tank!

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Yes it makes perfect sense since everytime I feel a little cold coming on I down about 4000mg of chewables. BUT since I have nowhere to buy supp's atm should I use the chewables? And where do you get ascorbic acid because isn't that what vC is anyway?

6. ingtar_shinowa

what are you using straight powdered absorbic acid? i want to do this for my zoas too. I have some brown guys trying to morph back to baby blue and it cant hurt

7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

yeah it is the unoxidized form of vit c... so ascorbic acid turns right into vitamin C when there is an energetic oxygen around (which consequently there are a lot of them in every organism from their metabolic rxns ;) )

And in my dads tank, he went to walmart and got some of the 1000mg pills to use. they work fine for him for the past few months and it hasnt fouled up his water. just make sure you look through all the bottles until you find the kind that doesnt have a binder in it... itll say just pure vit c.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

yeah straight up ascorbic acid... buffered at 7.1 pH.

[​IMG]

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

K here's what I was able to get in this one horse town @ the Dollar General. (Wally World is 40 minutes from my house). See if any of these ingredients throw up red flags for you all.

Vitamin C with Rosehips 500mg tablets (not chewable)

ingredients:
    Cellulose(plant origin), Crescarmellose, Vegetable Stearic Acid, Silica, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate

NO Gluten, NO wheat, NO Milk or milk derivatives, NO Lactose, NO sugar, NO preservatives, NO Soy, NO artificial color, NO artificial flavor, NO Sodium

Supplemental Facts
    % Daily Value
    Vitamin C 500mg 833%
    (as absorbic acid and Rose Hips)

11. ingtar_shinowa

dingo i want some where do i get it?

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

These used to be a very pretty dark green with black lines running to the mouth. The tentacles were very long and fine like eyelashes.
    [​IMG]

The gorilla nipples at the top aren't in as bad as shape but notice that the tentacles aren't extended and some aren't opening. Also notice the RDE zoo's are unaffected.
    [​IMG]

And the zoo's that concern me the most..The Armor of God. On the lighter side the Duncan REALLY likes where he's at!
    [​IMG]