looking to start up a salt water tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by thetman36, Jan 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thetman36

thetman36 Astrea Snail

now that's what I am talking about someone willing to get in there and list the stuff that dreams are made of. Thanks for the equipment list and suggestions some of it is Greek to me because i have no idea about salt water but i will start looking it all up. I know i need a good rodi because the water here is hard and ph is up high with all kinds of stuff in the water. what is a reef keeper - apex i want to stay away from the hot lights because i do not want to start running a cooler no space for it. what about bashsea for the bio fuge skimmer etc. what about dosing for calcium etc.

2. Click Here!

3. ilikespam

ilikespam Feather Duster

I told you i would do it so i did.A reef keeper is a controller for alot of stuff like timers temp ph and more.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Yeah he gave ya a great start! afew things IMO

Due to your space def look into an LED system! if you do it right, big heatsinks, maybe no fans! You'll have to ask that question under the led forum as to what you need for a 200 gallon, but i'm thinking about 4 AIsols to start and prob 2 more once ya get into reefing or a custom built unit unless you want to build it yourself1

Also def get a decent RODI unit with a couple big tupperware containers or 55 gallon buckets to mix your own water and a pump to get it to your tank! prob want at least 50 gallons on standby in case of a crash! And you'll want some decent pumps to stir that water for ya! bTW drs foster and smith has free shipping over $49 so buy 200lb salt from there! Much cheaper than local!

just for mixing your salt I'd say:
    4 18 gallon tubs from Lowes if you have to carry them or 1 55 gallon tub if your gonna pump it to the DT
    2 maxijets to stir for you
    might as well get 600 lbs of salt from drsfostersnand smith
    a refractometer

5. ilikespam

ilikespam Feather Duster

yes milwaukee refractometer.aisol or cree leds are ideal.

You should go ahead and get up livestock list so we can help you with it.

Just go shopping on liveaquaria

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

7. reefwerks

reefwerks Flamingo Tongue

8. Click Here!

9. thetman36

thetman36 Astrea Snail

Well my wife just gave birth to our baby girl 6 weeks early. I guess i will have to put this on the side burner for a while. I will keep up with the research but wont be able to do anything till she is back at work in like 3 months. oh baby and mom are both health. Happy new year

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Congrats on the new addition! this way you can watch your tank grow with your new baby!

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Congrats on the new baby girl! :) Do you have a name yet?

12. thetman36

thetman36 Astrea Snail