looking to start up a salt water tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by thetman36, Jan 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thetman36

thetman36 Astrea Snail

i am planing on going reef in a year from now but starting out just fish for a year. Here is what i don't want getting everything up and running and finding that i could have gotten better lighting or the pump sucks or what every it is could have been a better one. I would like to get the system to look like the great barrier reef with all it's glory. I plan on having this system for a very long time and want it to grow slow and healthy. So i will start slow as i am a newbie but the goal is a full blown off the chart reef. This system will be a center piece opposite a home movie theater. The goal is a stunning wow factor for the home. And lots of enjoyment along the way with trials and tribulations I'm sure but that is why I am asking so many questions now. so i can limit as many mistakes as possible. (I am 43 years old and have done fresh water from the age of 10. I have been out of the hobby for about 6 years and am now going into salt. need to make sure I don't have to upgrade stuff on the way would like to just replace it as it breaks down not because it sucks. thanks for all your input.

2. Click Here!

3. thetman36

thetman36 Astrea Snail

i should add that the system needs to be silent because of the proximity to the movie theater. so a strong powerful durable system that is also quiet. Tall order but it must exist.

4. ilikespam

ilikespam Feather Duster

Yeah its not that difficult to achieve.

5. thetman36

thetman36 Astrea Snail

yes to the anemones there is nothing i like better than to see a fish hanging out in the anemone. As far as corals i have no idea i guess what ever I can get to live in one tank the size is 200 gal.

6. thetman36

thetman36 Astrea Snail

quick question where can i find plans on building your own custom stand to support a 200 gal tank. I am a builder but not sure of the specs and weight

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

There are plenty of people here that can help. You can start a build thread for a stand and call it something like "How to build a custom stand" and people will chime in. I would make the corner post and the center beams out of 4x6 to be on the safe and for the top part that will support the edges of the tanks, I would run 2x4's or 2x6's. I have never built a stand for a tank this size though.

Edit: I think Reefbruh is building a custom stand for a tank that is around 600 gallons. You might be able to ask him.

8. Click Here!

9. thetman36

thetman36 Astrea Snail

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

shoot jonathon at reefwerks.com a message! he'll giving ya some good plans! Heck he'd probably build ya a full out great system for your budget! No fuss!

11. ilikespam

ilikespam Feather Duster

12. ilikespam

ilikespam Feather Duster

Tank-im not sure which is quiter reef ready or overflow box.
    Skimmer-reef octopus
    Pump-eheim makes good ones.There are a few other good brands too.
    Lighting-since led is the newest best thing arguably then i would get led lighting but if you dont like led then get around 400-500 watt mh setup.
    sump-melevsreef.com has lots of diy setups pretty easy to make.
    test kits-salifert is top notch i personally use red sea kits.
    powerheads-koralia evolutions are great.
    Reef keeper-apex
    scrubber-magfloat
    rodi setup if you plan on mixing your own water.Atleast 4 stage.
    Heater-jbj or tunze but you probably wont need a heater if you go with mh lights.

Thats all i can think of right now to have a modern setup.anyone feel free to add to this list.