Looking to add a fish, maybe a wrasse

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by mdbostwick, Aug 18, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

really? that is surprising to me since lawnmowers don't really stay mid tank like the midas.

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Paracheilinus and Cirrhilabrus won't put much of a hit on your pod population, but with the tank size you'll be limited to the smaller species in the Cirrhilabrus genera. And also the tank must be completely covered.

4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

From reading your reef safe wrasses thread those are the 2 types which seemed like the most likely candidates. Any on the smaller side you would recommend? I love the color and activity level they can bring to the reef just have never had one so don't know them very well.

5. mdbostwick

Yeah that LM blenny has caused me not to be able to get a Kole tang as well.

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

http://www.reef2reef.com/blog/cirrhilabrus-complexes-inferiority-need-not-apply/
    The lubbocki complex stays small. So does the johnsoni complex, but everything there is more pricey. Exquisitus would also work.

mdbostwick likes this.
  7. mdbostwick

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Any species of the Paracheilinus genus is fine.

10. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

Alright so have a big question, I have a Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus), Christmas Wrasse (Halichoeres claudia), a Bluehead Fairry Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura), and a Long-fin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis). With them I have a starry blennie and two clowns false perc. They are housed in a 90 (48x18x25) gallon with a lot of live rock and thus far everyone is doing great with no real aggression to speak of. I do believe the blue side is in transition and the Christmas is female but the other two are definitely male. If I were to put another fish in there weather wrasse or not what would be a good choice that wouldn't really disturb the balance of power and keep good color and interest to the livestock. I wanted a leopard wrasse but with my current stock of wrasse I think it would be a bad idea. I am also moving to a 125 6ft tank hopefully in the next few weeks.