Looking for update on the Red Sea Max

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by HellFire4881, Oct 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chefunk

chefunk Plankton

RSM noise level?

Why yes, I am a total NOOB but I have not seen this addressed anywhere in all my research on the Red Sea Max 130d. Is it vry loud? I want to put it in my living room but don't want to have it compete with TV and stereo. Any input?

2. Click Here!

3. Clutch

Clutch Astrea Snail

I have been running the Red Sea Max 250 now for 5 weeks. The initial problem I had was the skimmer pump was not working at all and I had to wait for approx. 2 weeks for the Red Reef folks to send out a replacement. Actually my local dealer I bought the unit from did the leg work! The skimmer was OK not to have as I was in the tank break-in period and ran without the skimmer for 3 weeks, just the biological and mechanical filtration with the 2 pumps and 80lbs of LR. Once the skimmer was turned on, the unit then stopped producing bubbles but still pumped water! Took the whole darn thing apart and checked the impeller which seemed to be louder than normal. Got the unit to produce bubbles again by blowing through the air tube into the pump. A day later when I turned the unit off and the pumps for feeding , once again I could not get the unit to produce any bubbles. It was pumping water, but no bubbles were being produced. Called Red Sea again who told me the obvious to check for air line blockage and I informed them I had and nothing was blocked and the tank was only 5 weeks old. After some haggling, they sent me another pump overnight air which I demanded since my skimmer was now collecting well at this point (or was anyway). Got the new pump and also a separate impeller with a note to try to the replacement impeller first. Put the impeller in and it worked, bubbles and all were being produced! Well today, I turned off the pumps and skimmer for feeding and went to turn the skimmer back on, AN NO BUBBLES! Dissembled the pump, checked for blocks and no joy. I then got out the new pump, installed it, and bubbles of joy!! Hopefully this will do it and I will not have any issues.

I do have a question to others....Should turning the skimmer on and off have this effect? I do not want to keep the pumps and skimmer on for feeding time as the food goes everywhere (the little I feed) and lot's gets sucked up into the skimmer.

Other than that, the unit is very quiet and I am enjoying near perfect water qaulity in regards to Nitrites, Ammonia, Phosphates, Salinity, PH (8.2) and hardness at 420. The only think not at zero is my Nitrates, they are at 5-6ppm. I treat weekly with 1 cap full of Salifert All in one for the 65 gallon tank and twice a week, a cap full of Purple up. Water changes are performed twice a month (15gal each change) with Catalina Bio Ocean Salt Water. I am pleased so far with all the rest of the setup of this system. I also run a Oceanic 1/4hp chiller as well. Hope this helps.

Vic

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009