Looking for update on the Red Sea Max

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by HellFire4881, Oct 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

there ya go, straight from the horse's mouth so to speak, not to call ya a horse steveh :)

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

+1. I honestly dont understand why people go for these kits. For the same amount of money or even less, you can have an even better and/or larger system. Specially in your case, since you only plan on having it for a few years.
    JMHO

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I personally like the "nano" systems, and it's hard to build a system for the same money, unless your using dirt cheap parts or used stuff, and even if you do save $50-100 you dont get the ascetics of the system itself

5. railroader46

railroader46 Skunk Shrimp

The RSM is a good little tank and the aesthics are a plus it basically looks like a piece of furniture. I have made a few mods to mine. Maxi jet 300's replaced the return pumps for better flow, new skimmer Tunze doc 9002 nano(never could get the stock one to work properly). StevieT media rack for the RSM, removed activated carbon and bio rings. I have plumbed in a TLF p04 reactor, current chiller and a AAT denitrate coil. Also added a korralia 1 and nano to improve flow.

6. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

I personally went for the RSM because it was a slick looking all-in-one system that came with everything I would need to start off. I plan on doing upgrades to it, but for presentation alone, it was worth it for me. For the same price, I'm sure I could've made a 40-50 gallon setup, but it wouldn't have the same feel to it, I think. Plus I would've had to spend more on LR anyway :p

7. HellFire4881

HellFire4881 Plankton

Thanks Steveh,
    Would you recon the MAX is worth getting and upgrading a few parts or should i go for the new MAX 130 D??

8. Click Here!

9. njdevilsfan

njdevilsfan Flamingo Tongue

the new rsm has been delayed and wont hit the states till after december
    as for the smaller old redsea max i used to say its a waiste of money
    until i saw them in person
    they are great little tanks
    id get it

10. HellFire4881

HellFire4881 Plankton

thanks Steveh, i take it you work for Red Sea on some level..;D
    Would you say there is a drastic difference between the new 130D and the older MAX tanks which recieved some of the new upgrades anyway?
    Not sure whether my friends at the store will be able to do me the new 130D at cost (but heres hoping).. Just curious whether the new 130D is worth the extra cash in the long run? or should i just upgrade the skimmer in the older MAX version?

11. HellFire4881

HellFire4881 Plankton

You've hit the nail on the head ther Iraf, the tank is to go in my living room as a centre piece of sorts. so the mrs wants me to have an asthetically nice looking tank which is why im considering the max.. I am fully capable of setting up and equally good larger tank, however it would have no overall asthetic look, and would have wires everywhere and an open top with lights and exposed protein skimmer etc...
    So this is why ive been researching the MAX as it seems to do what it says on the tin, will let me have a good beginners experience into Marine reef keeping for a year or two until..
    A. i am comfortable building a second LARGER tank upstairs, when my knowledge and experience level is comfortable for the extra investment.
    B. the mrs lets me build another tank...;D

Ive heard alot about upgrading the MAX, i was concerned that because it is a very self contained system, i would limited in its upgradability, if for example i wanted to change the outflow pumps or get a better skimmer.
    Are there any parts which i would be hardpressed to upgrade or replace if malfunctions occur?
    or is it fully upgradable?

12. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

most of the peices are upgradeable, from the sounds of it red seas is going to offer a skimmer upgrade soon, as well as there is several aftermarket skimmers aimed at the nano market now to.
    the lights aren't really upgradeable but nanotuners makes DIY lighting kits for just about every nano on the market that will fit in the hood if your crafty enough with a dremel and soldering gun.

I'd have gone with a RSM over my JBJ if I had the extra $400 to spend on a nano when I picked one up for the kids room