looking for live rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by mdbostwick, Feb 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I am trying to find a good online vendor that sells Marshall island live rock. I already have about 100 lbs and need some more and don't remember who I had ordered it from. Also the rock I have I am sure nothing is still living on it and I am wondering if it can be seeded.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

1 person likes this.
  4. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

Most certainly can seed your old rock. Id make sure its real clean before you add it so you dont have much of a cycle

5. mdbostwick

I appreciate you finding that so quickly. The price sounds the same as I paid before.

6. mdbostwick

So to seed it I just add liverock to it or is there more to it?

7. mdbostwick

Also on another note, my old rock had a ton of bubble algae on it, it has been sitting in a rubbermaid for about 4 years. How much of a problem do you think this algae is going to give me?

8. Click Here!

9. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

Google how to clean old rock and double check me here. I've heard run it in a strong vinegar rodi mix for 24 hours then regular rodi water for 24 hours. Some bleach the same way. I've heard of boiling rocks releasing toxic fumes so I would not do that. But if you read threads some will recommend doing that also. In my opinion if you run a power head and bleach or vinegar for 24 hours nothing's going to survive. Then just make sure you rinse it good an maybe run some prime to make sure it's safe.

1 person likes this.
  10. mdbostwick

Doing a miss of vinegar and rodi will kill the bubble algae and aptasia? I forgot to mention that.

11. bigdookie

bigdookie Astrea Snail

Wow... so after 4 years of being in a rubber made container, the rock is still live" The creatures and bacteria don't die after being out of water for 4 years?