looking for clean up crew

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by David marabella, Aug 25, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. David marabella

David marabella Astrea Snail

hay all.
    im new and looking for to buy my first cleanup crew for my 29 gallon reef tank. any one know a good place to buy them from? and what should I start out with?

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

some common choices are nassarius snails, turbo snails, turban snails. if you plan on a hermit be aware that the relationship hermit - snail can be a risk if the hermit doesnt have empty shells to regularly try out. you could aslo look into a shrimp. either a wurdemanni or an ambionensis.

make sure your water is really in check before adding inverts

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Depends on what you need cleaned really. Pic of your tank will help but new systems don't usually need much unless there is a lot of liverock with mature growth. Reef cleaners is a good online retailer.

mdbostwick and Swisswiss like this.
  5. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

You definitely want some snails.
    Nassarius are great for your sand bed
    Turbos rock at cleaning glass/rock
    Cerith are good for bothe the glass and sandbed

I was not impressed by Astrea snails, they stayed in one place for days and never on the glass!

Hermits are great cleaners but definitely buy empty shells for them or they will go after your snails.

Shrimps are good cleaners too but stick with reef friendly shrimp like skunk cleaner or peppermint.

A good site for info is liveaquaria

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

as mentioned, it depends on how much stuff you have for them to eat. I like to ask my LFS to give me $20 of a mixture of CUC. I like hermits but as others stated, they will go after snails and they also can topple rock (I've had snails do that as well) so make sure your rock work is secure.

7. David marabella

David marabella Astrea Snail

image.jpg Thanks everyone here's a picture of what it looks like today I just added to fish

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I would hold off on adding anything that soley consume algae as you have none.lol You could throw a couple nassarius snails in or hermits. As has been stated mixing snails and hermits does not usually end well. Both do a good job but going the snail route allows more choices when problem algaes show up.

Swisswiss and mdbostwick like this.