Looking for a mentor.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by RidinBurton, Nov 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

It comes pre-bagged.

2. Click Here!

3. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

3reef.com will be your mentor! I spend hours on here in my free time planning my next moves.

4. Coffin Worm

Coffin Worm Astrea Snail

Welcome to 3reef. I have received tons of great advice on this forum.
    I have a 29 gallon and all I run is an aquaclear filter with filter floss and a bag of chemipure. That, two power heads and a heater is all I run on my tank. I change out 3 gallons a week and have a lot of coral growth and an anemone.

5. RidinBurton

RidinBurton Plankton

Sounds like you have a very similar setup to what I will have. What kind of sand do you use? Also what is filter floss, where do I get it, and where to I put it in my filter?

6. Coffin Worm

Coffin Worm Astrea Snail

I put my filter floss on top of my bag of chemi-pure in my filter. Filter floss looks like a plastic dish sponge. I rinse my filter floss out in my waste water when I do water changes. I replace it every couple months. I replace chemi-pure every 3 months or so.
    I'll have to get back to you on the sand. I did start out with the sugar fine stuff and don't recommend it. It gets stirred up easily.

7. RidinBurton

RidinBurton Plankton

Any ideas on where I can get filter floss for a good price? I was told they sell it cheap if it is not "intended" for an aquarium.

8. Click Here!

9. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

10. RidinBurton

RidinBurton Plankton

That looks good! The only problem is the shipping cost just as much as the filter floss itself. How long can I expect the filter floss to last? I am actually looking at the 20 sq ft which is twice the volume and only $3 more.